Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester, Starter doesn't want to Start

My buddy at UVM has this forester, and he can't get it to start (it's cold... so yeah..) I asked him the standard questions....

He says that when he turns the key it just clicks (like an automatic gun), and doens't even try to turn over.... i'm guessing starter is just being a pain in the rump roast... ideas?

A rapid clicking of the solenoid usually means the connections to the battery are bad or the battery has a problem. This happens because the battery tries to run the starter when the solenoid is turned on but due to a resistance in the leads to the starter the voltage drops off and the solenoid shuts off. When the solenoid shuts off, the voltage rises and the solenoid engages again, the process keeps repeating.

If cleaning the battery connections doesn't help I would have the battery checked. It may be time to change it. The main starter cable may also have internal corrosion.

^^^What he said. Plus give the thing a boost off another car and it'll probably go just fine :brow: that way he can get it to somewhere to test the battery for him and once it's warmed up it'll probably start again until it gets nice and cold again.

A rapid clicking of the solenoid usually means the connections to the battery are bad or the battery has a problem. This happens because the battery tries to run the starter when the solenoid is turned on but due to a resistance in the leads to the starter the voltage drops off and the solenoid shuts off. When the solenoid shuts off, the voltage rises and the solenoid engages again, the process keeps repeating.

If cleaning the battery connections doesn't help I would have the battery checked. It may be time to change it. The main starter cable may also have internal corrosion.

yup what he said too

nipper

I sometimes think people read threads too fast before replying, well I guess it's my turn :rolleyes:. Good call Cougar!