Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Snorkle, *DONE!*

Andyjo

So after talking to Austin for a while last night i decided that i'd throw a snorkle on my subie :brow: After about 1.5 hour in the hardware store playing w/ PVC pieces i got enough stuff to keep me busy for the afternoon. I only got the internal stuff worked out tonight... the external will have to wait till after xmas.

I want to be able to take the snorkle off, so that's why where's a T in there, with all sorts of threaded crap everywhere.

Here's the internal workings....

10420snorkle1.jpg

Here's it after i "put it in it's place"... required some hack saw & hammer action.

10420snorkle2.jpg

Here's the hole w/ the pipe plug in it.. the cap is a little large, and the fender didn't want to go back on w/ it on there.. hmmm... i may have to re-think the directionality of this system...

10420snorkle3.jpg

More to come! :grin:

So i had to up the pipe side to 2" PVC, opposed to 1.5", it the motor just wasn't happy w/ the 1.5".

I also changed the configuration of the fittings inside, which ment i had to put another hole in the fender :banghead:

But no worries, I'll bondo up that hole when i'm done....

here's where it's at now, without the rest of the snorkle built.. this is just the pipe out the fender, with a cap ducttaped on :brow:

10420snorkle4.jpg

lol if thats not redneck, i dont know what is. but i should say anything, cause as soon as i get my ej22 swap done, im going to build a pvc snorkle to :lol:

At least i threw some spray paint on it :rolleyes: It looked really funny before that. The second hole looks pretty funny too... but whatever...

now i just need a plow and some smoke stacks for my exhaust!

who's got that picture of the old wagon w/ the smoke stacks...

WoohoO! it's done, and painted pretty black.

I still need to go re-sand it and paint it again.

10420snorkle5.jpg

10420snorkle6.jpg

it works oh so well!! :grin: oh yeah.. bending 2" sch 40 pvc is not fun!

now i just need to wait for the water to not be frozen to give it a test run!

my question is, how will rain like that open end of the snorkle?, but nonetheless, looks wicked.

you just answered subie94's question. The reason i have the T is so that i can plug the snorkle in rain/snow situations where water would possibly get in. It's just a threaded cap that i can throw in, the intake on the inside is also threaded, so when i go swimming i can just plug up that hole w/ the same cap, and use only the snorkle. It was also requested by my girlfriend that the snorkle be removable... because she wasn't very fond of the idea in the first place, so the joint right inside the fender it in place w/ silicon gasket material, so i can just pop it out whenever i need, and throw a rubber stopper, or something like that in the fender hole.

It runs very nicely with both ports open though :grin:

It runs very nicely with both ports open though :grin:

how does it sound? i know that changing the air intake can create a nice sound when you get on the gas.

in the 92 legacy i had,i changed out the filter box for a cone filter and i used to get a throaty sound.wasn't sure if adding a snorkle would create a different intake sound.

how does it sound? i know that changing the air intake can create a nice sound when you get on the gas.

in the 92 legacy i had,i changed out the filter box for a cone filter and i used to get a throaty sound.wasn't sure if adding a snorkle would create a different intake sound.

I was watching the WCSS6 DVD of austin's and you can hear suberdave's snorkle makes a ton of noise (it's a turbo....btw), and it sounds really neat!

I was watching the WCSS6 DVD of austin's and you can hear suberdave's snorkle makes a ton of noise (it's a turbo....btw), and it sounds really neat!

cool,will remember that so if i ever,ever get around to doing a snorkle on my legacy then i'll know what to expect.