Ultimate Subaru Message Board

humming noise??

i noticed a humming noise when im in a right curve,goes away when i straighten out,no noise when im turning right,it only seems to do it while im accelerating,any ideas,i know,i know,dont accelerate in the curve lol,1st thought is axel,whats the life of a turbo axel,im sure jim rebuilt or replaced it,when him and miles rebuilt it,ive put 28k on the soobie since then.

first thought

left front wheel bearing

or

rear wheel bearings

nice to know what kind of car it is though

its the car in my siggy 88' gl turbowagon, the bearing will hum only in a curve,why doesnt it do it all the time,if its going bad,i'd think it would hum all the time,not just in a right curve,i'll check them out

no new drive axles were put on either side , because they were good when i sold the car , or wheel bearings either , they also were good,parts bin is good place to get subaru parts,

why not napa,ive found that some of their parts are very cheap,oh and jim,i didnt think you would sell me a bum soobie,just trying to figure out the humming,ive seen bearings hum before,but usually they hum all the time,not just in a curve.i stopped by your house,late sunday,but no one was home.

Wheel bearing on cars are fitted at each axle in sets of two

inner and outer.

It does happen where one set is going bad and will roll fine straight ahead (load being shared by both sets)

but

when the load is transferred to the worn set during a turn

the bearing will rear it's ugly head and howl

good luck

there are many other things that can cause "humming"

like rotors rubbing on brake

pads due to semi siezed calipers

parts bin has sealed bearings , + any order over 50 bucks is free shipping ,should have them in 2 -3 days , but it may not the front bearings

i checked partsbin,they didnt show my model soobie,which years and models are interchangeable.

well changed the drv.side inner and outer wheelbearings today,also changed the lower ball joint,ripped the boot,whentaking the steering knuckle off,so just changed the whole ball joint,contrary to popular belief,if you know what your doing you can change the bearings without a press,in fact i have never used a press to change them,a secret a little korean taught me when i was in the army over 'in korea,thanx for all the help,till the next time lol