Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Info LSD

boyhowdy

New here, great site. Ive read a bit about lsd's here but I was wondering what my options are for any kind of lsd or vlsd for my 1986 gl wagon. Is there anything from a newer sube that would bolt right up to my setup? (91 legacy??) any info and two cents would be great, thanks.

A stock LSD will bolt up from a newer Subaru IF you swapped out transmissions as well. Otherwise, you'll have to swap some of the internals and such from a different LSD into an open diff. Its not hard at all though. I'll see if I can get a link to the swap. You might wanna look for 87-89 Full Time 4WD Rx's at the junkyards they have a 3.7 LSd in them. Also, some 89 xt6's have been said to have a 3.9 LSd which WOULD be a bolt in swap for your wagon, but good luck I don't think I have seen a single one for sale since I've been here.

if i remember correctly, and i may not, the only legacy to get a 3.90 VLSD was the 1991 legacy turbo. now, other cars do have the VLSD (WRX, SVX, some legacys, and some imprezas) but that ratio is 4.11, and i dont know if you can swap the ring and pinion gears from a 4.11 VLSD into our 3.90 diff's.

~Josh~

Yes 91 Legacy SS has the VLSD 3.9 rear end on it. IT is a clutch pack based limited slip. A 3.7 LSD off a GL-10 and the 3.9 LSD off a RX and XT6 are spring based limited slip.

People on the board said not to use VLSD for offroading. I love mine. IT goes anywhere. And it works a lil better than the spring type when cornering because it makes more wheel spin to get it to lock up.

Yes 91 Legacy SS has the VLSD 3.9 rear end on it. IT is a clutch pack based limited slip. A 3.7 LSD off a GL-10 and the 3.9 LSD off a RX and XT6 are spring based limited slip.

People on the board said not to use VLSD for offroading. I love mine. IT goes anywhere. And it works a lil better than the spring type when cornering because it makes more wheel spin to get it to lock up.

RX has 3.7 ;)