Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Engine Interchangeability

Greetings. I am new to the list. First Post....

I recently acquired a brand new EJ22 Engine, zero miles, not a rebuild.... It did not come with the ECU, wiring harness, Mass Air Flow Meter…. I e-mailed pictures of the Subaru engine to several people with some experience with Subaru's and their opinion was that it was an engine built for a 90/91 Legacy and set up for an automatic transmission.

I am starting to look for a higher mileage, fairly inexpensive Subaru Wagon to put this beautiful engine in.

Am I limited to just the 90/91 years for a donor car or are the EJ22 engines pretty much interchangeable?

Thanks.

Mike

Greetings. I am new to the list. First Post....

I recently acquired a brand new EJ22 Engine, zero miles, not a rebuild.... It did not come with the ECU, wiring harness, Mass Air Flow Meter…. I e-mailed pictures of the Subaru engine to several people with some experience with Subaru's and their opinion was that it was an engine built for a 90/91 Legacy and set up for an automatic transmission.

I am starting to look for a higher mileage, fairly inexpensive Subaru Wagon to put this beautiful engine in.

Am I limited to just the 90/91 years for a donor car or are the EJ22 engines pretty much interchangeable?

Thanks.

Mike

how did you find a brand new "still in the wrapper" EJ22 being that they discontinued it in ... 1999 i believe

<<how did you find a brand new "still in the wrapper" EJ22 being that they discontinued it in ... 1999 i believe>>

Long story.... Short version - it was acquired by an engine builder about ten years ago to go into a midget race car. Project never materialized. Sat in his shop all that time. He decided it was time to clear out some space....

P-mail me your e-mail address if you would like to see a picture of it. It is a beauty.

email me the pics and I will host so everyone can see.

As for the compatibility....no you aren't limited to 90/91. Do you have any years in particular you're looking for? In 95, subaru went to OBD2, and changed the EJ22 motor. So after that point you get into some issues with engine management. You can probably run this new EJ22 with the newer cars ECU, but depending on what it had originally, it may not be optimal.

I'll pm you my email addy.

MY'89-'94 Legacy 5spd, direct bolt in.

EJ22 most bulletproof fuel injected subaru motor ever!.

will work in any EJ22 car from '89-'00 with appropriate mods:

Has clutch/pressure plate, so already setup for manual trans, but will go into an auto too. Dual port exhaust came on '89-'96 legacy's and '93-'96 impreza's, the '89-'94 legacy will be a direct bolt in, while most early impreza's had the 1.8L motor(EJ18), the EJ18 intake will bolt to you block and run but only about 95-97% perfect (fuel economy, not durability/longevity). '95-'96 cars will probably need their original intake bolted to your block to keep the ecu happy. any car '97-'00, with an EJ22 will work, but you will need to mate the newer intake to your block, again keep the computer happy, and source '89-'94 exhaust manifold b/c the newer motors are single port exhaust(should bolt to the rest of exhaust).

I run a '97 block on a '91 legacy intake/car with a custom wxhaust manifold.

gook luck,

-N

P.S. watch out for leaky sunroofs and get a 5spd if possible.

AVK asked <<The pipe and hose connections on throttle body, AC compressor, and steering pump all have factory plugs. Was the whole assembly supplied like this by Subaru? It comes with clutch, too.>>

I bought it set up the way you see it in the pictures. The engine came off of the Lafayette, IN assembly line. I bought it from a race car builder in Indy. He acquired it for a midget race car project that never materialized. He recalls getting the engine in '95-96. It has been sitting in his shop taking up space. The engine has zero miles on it.

I bought it to put in a VW Vanagon Westy.

/r

Mike

I should add to this discussion....

I was told by a knowledgeable mechanic on the SubaruVanagon Yahoo newsgroup that this engine is set-up to interface with a 90/91 Legacy. This opinion was based on his review of the engine pictures. He said that I would need the following parts from a 90/91 Legacy with an automatic transmission:

1) Complete air intake tube with all the hoses attached to it

2) Electronic parts:

-- ECU – (I think I could use any of the 22611 AA380 to AA383 series of ECUs)

-- MAFM - 22680 AA160 (black plastic housing with a hot wire

mass air flow detector. The MAFM for a manual is cast metal)

-- Igniter - 22438 AA040 or AA041

-- Ignition Relay - 25229 AA000 or AA001

-- Fuel Pump Relay - 82501 GA240

-- Complete wiring harness from a 90/91 Legacy

Any thoughts?

/r

Mike

well good news, you dont have to worry about the EGR stuff, BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE IT LOL!!!!!! you can swap this motor into there just fine, just go to the JY and pull a wire harness from a car that has NO EGR on it. if possible, use the wire harness from an impreza, the EJ18 ECU came with better top end fuel and timing maps, and are a benefit for the EJ22. make sure you use a decent exhaust, 2'' or bigger for this motor. 2.25'' would be great.

~Josh~