Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi recently my 93 legacy turbo sedan has started shaking when the brakes are applied at any speed over 35 mph with the shaking worse at higher speeds. The front end shakes and the steering wheel also vibrates. This started a while ago and has grown worse with time. Today I took off the wheel and the brake pads look fine, since I thought this was the problem I dont know what to look at next. Does anyone know where I should start in looking for the culprit? One more thing, the ABS light came on and went out periodically just before this problem started, now its on all the time. Also when I start the car the ABS light is off for a few seconds and then after I start driving there is a faint ping sound, like a spring, and the ABS light comes on. Could these problems be connected? Any help is greatly appreciated. Eric Anderson

can you tell if the shaking is the ABS operating the pads or a warped rotor? the ABS would be more of a pumping sensation, a warped rotor would be a pulsating, shaking vibration. probably hard to tell the difference.

pull the tires again. leave the emergency brake off if it's connected to the front brakes. now turn the tires by hand slowly. a warped rotor will give itself away by feeling a tight spot as you turn the wheels. in other words every time one spot on the wheel gets to 10 o'clock you'll feel it get tight for a bit then free up....that means a rotor is warped and that's where it's *catching* the pads. check both sides. if it's doing it that bad, you should be able to tell by doing this. if you get nothing, try removing the wheels and turning the hub (assuming the rotors stay seated with the wheel off, some don't).

I second the rotors. And I'd get new ones probably for a '93 with severely 'warped' rotors. High quality aftermarket or OEM.

good reading on brakes at;http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Jamie at http://www.subarugenuineparts.com has OEM parts from a discount dealer.

there are others too of course.

fyi

Carl

Have the rotors turned or replace them. I'd just replace them. You really can't see variations in the rotor...enough to cause you problems.

As a general rule of thumb. If you feel shaking in the steering wheel the problem is the front brakes. If the pulsation feels more like it's coming through the brake pedal, it's probably the rear brakes.