Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright, so my dad's friend has this 99' Outback Legacy, and i helped him replace his front brakes and rotors, the problem is that how when going about 15-25mph (haven't tested higher speeds), the brakes make a knocking noise, with a frequency just about the speed of the wheel (ie: 1 rotation, 1 knock). We poped the wheels off and made sure everything was seated properly, and that all the bolts were tight, retorqued the wheels, and it still does it... any ideas or suggestions?

ALSO, his ABS kicks in WAY to soon, like... almost to a stop and it'll kick in a little.

No ideas? grr.... i was thinking maybe he got the wrong rotors? but they fit perfectly... no issues getting them on there. We didn't put the shims on the back of the pads, because the caliper would fit back on with them there :cool:

My guess is you got a bad rotor, (really bad) if you still have the old ones replace them one at a time and see.

Alright, so my dad's friend has this 99' Outback Legacy, and i helped him replace his front brakes and rotors, the problem is that how when going about 15-25mph (haven't tested higher speeds), the brakes make a knocking noise, with a frequency just about the speed of the wheel (ie: 1 rotation, 1 knock). We poped the wheels off and made sure everything was seated properly, and that all the bolts were tight, retorqued the wheels, and it still does it... any ideas or suggestions?

ALSO, his ABS kicks in WAY to soon, like... almost to a stop and it'll kick in a little.

That's a really good idea about the old rotors. Are the new ones OEM or what? Is it both sides knocking? If you swap rotors side to side does the sound move over?

MAYBE if you could get a pile of washers and stack 'em on 3 of the studs, then use the lugnuts to tighten down on the rotor, you could spin it with out the wheel on and just watch for any kind irregularity as it turns? position a pointer very near the rotor as you turn it and look for 'runout'. I'd confirm the calipers slide well on the pins. Doesn't seem like a possiblity, but wouldn't hurt to confirm an axle didn't pull outta the front diff a little! I dunno - very odd.

Both sides are doing it.... the rotors looked fine, no warps/bumps/wierd things. I'll check the axle... that'd be wierd though...

Maybe it's related to the ABS kicking in so much.. ?

I recall reading how some of those ABS/wheel speed sensors can go bad from corrosion. Or some magnetic/metallic trash can get on them. maybe that is what's causing both problems? Why wouldn't a bad wheel sensor throw a code?

I dunno

They all look fine! even when they are warped. If you dont want to change them I think I would at least check them like Lucky Texan was saying.

Both sides are doing it.... the rotors looked fine, no warps/bumps/wierd things. I'll check the axle... that'd be wierd though...

Maybe it's related to the ABS kicking in so much.. ?

Couple of more things to check, the brake fluild if you pushed the piston back in with out taking any out. And you might check to see if a wheel weight might have got knocked off during the work.

take out brake fluid? it was about 1/2 way when we started, and now it's almost full.. i don't see a problem with that...

I'm gonna go jack it up, both sides, throw in the FWD fuse and see if we can replicate the symtoms w/ the front end in the air, try to see what's going on....

I have only changed my pad clips about twice during the last 25 or so pad changes I dont think that would cause the knocking, but it might be worth a try, I still think he has a wraped rotor.

Did you replace the pad clips with new ones, or just reuse the old ones?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=5A&year=2002&style=WRX&body=sedan&scn=2&category=262-1

It may infact be the rotor, but no one had mentioned the pad clips yet. It's a very slight chance, but it was worth mentioning IMO :)

pad clips? you mean those metal shims that always fall off? hmm... we didn't put those on... perhaps that's the problem.

pad clips? you mean those metal shims that always fall off? hmm... we didn't put those on... perhaps that's the problem.

Not those. the pad clips are those metal things where the groove of the brake pad slides on. They have little springs on them to keep the pads from rattling around.