Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So has anyone else heard about the Subaru filter shortage?

Went to the dealership and they would not sell me any because they said they are down to under 500 and they usually have over 3000 in stock. They said the manufacture had short fall and they were not sure when they would get more??

So on this note doesn’t Wix make the factory filter? Where can I get a Wix made filter?

I think Napa sells Wix built but not sure??

Went to the dealership and they would not sell me any because they said they are down to under 500 and they usually have over 3000 in stock. They said the manufacture had short fall and they were not sure when they would get more??

Why do you need Subaru filter? WHy not get Fram, or Purolator?

So on this note doesn’t Wix make the factory filter? Where can I get a Wix made filter?

Yes, the Wix filters are at Napa, under the "Napa Gold" label.

Under our warranty, we require people to use Subaru Genuine oil filters. With this filter problem, I've been trying to figure out a decent way to let people know NOT to use those filters!

The only other filter we consider as "warranteeable" is the NAPA Gold model. Good, solid oil filter.

In fact, we have an engine in our shop that developed a slight rod knock after the owner put one of those defective filters on and took a road trip. The sealing ring is hard as a rock, has dents in it, and is way too small for the surface it's supposed to cover.

One of our contacts at a local dealer is trying to get SOA to help us out with this, since the car was running perfectly before he put that POS on it!

So, if anybody reads this who has one of our EJ22 or EJ25 engines, DO NOT use those filters!!!!! If you can't get the older style, use the NAPA Gold ones!

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48543

I just put an H6 filter (pn SOA5165109) on my 2000 legacy (2.5). It catches the same number of threads as the AA09, that was my only concern. Wish I had a pressure gauge to see if there was any difference, but I don't think there would be much if any.

Note- you can't use those filters on the 2005 and later, and i'm not sure about using it on a 2.2.

Why do you need Subaru filter? WHy not get Fram, or Purolator?

umm... purolator's are the ones that are leaking at the moment

sorry but i wouldnt recommend those for certain

subaru will have the Japan made AA100's back in a week or so.

those filters never had a single issue, worked great and are affordable.

Jamie

I use the NAPA Gold on all my cars, including my Classic Corvairs, MOPARS, and Thunderbirds. As I buy all of my replacement parts through NAPA I have built a rapport with my dealer and he gives me a fairly good case lot cost. Even on the Subaru Filters. I stock them in my garage so I have them ready when I need them. If for instance I sell the subie, I could return the unused filters.

I also beleive fram are junk.

swi66