Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket locking gas cap for forester?

Can anyone recommend a good locking gas cap for a 2000 Forester? I'm not sure if someone tried to siphon my tank or not, but when I went out today, the hinged cover was open, and for some reason, now it won't close properly. The tank doesn't look like they got any fuel though. I don't know why Subaru didn't include interior releases for the filler cover for my car. Except for the obvious reason, it was cheaper for them. I assume the new Subs have a release for the covers now? All the other vehicles I've owned had either an interior release or a lock on the filler cover. One thng I'm concerned about is getting a CEL with an aftermarket cap, but I'll take the chance since I now park outdoors. Welcome a recommendation for a cap and where to purchase.

Thanks.

I have been using a stant locking cap on my 97 legacy wagon for years with no problem. You can buy them at Wal Mart but if they dont have the chart there to tell you which one you need you can get one from Auto Zone or one of the other big parts place.

Can anyone recommend a good locking gas cap for a 2000 Forester? I'm not sure if someone tried to siphon my tank or not, but when I went out today, the hinged cover was open, and for some reason, now it won't close properly. The tank doesn't look like they got any fuel though. I don't know why Subaru didn't include interior releases for the filler cover for my car. Except for the obvious reason, it was cheaper for them. I assume the new Subs have a release for the covers now? All the other vehicles I've owned had either an interior release or a lock on the filler cover. One thng I'm concerned about is getting a CEL with an aftermarket cap, but I'll take the chance since I now park outdoors. Welcome a recommendation for a cap and where to purchase.

Thanks.

I highly recommend a locking gas cap. If for no other reason than to keep things OUT of your gas tank. I would much prefer that someone siphon 5 gallons out of my gas tank than drop a handfull of hard candies INTO my gas tank. I have a stant on my 99 Forester, and it has never caused a problem with the CEL. If I ever found the stant broken off the filling port, I would probably has the gas tank drained immediately as a precaution. My 2006 Forester has a locking gas port cover.