Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinion Time

So... we got this Gen2 Brat given to us, gratis. It's a "genuine" parts car painted camo... I like the paint job. Anyway, it sat for 5 years and with 2 gallons of fresh gas, it fired right up.

It drove onto the trailer, in 4WD due to 2 flat rear tires. It idles and drives great despite of the flat tires. The frame is complete toast, body isn't worth saving, mayyyybe the hood. It has some very good interior parts in tan, a nice bull bar, roll bar, high top cap and a second low topper.

Now, my question is... the odometer reads 173k. do you think it would it be worth pulling the engine and tranny? My feelings are that if it sat for that long and started and runs, then keep it.

can have the topper mrs hag or can i buy it . jus started a new job get paid two weeks start my first week monday . my ph. num is 1-828-689-5266 if can afford long dist. i cant tryin to fix up ol 81 to sell too jon of walden but u decide to call leeve a mess. or if some one pics up tell that ur callin 4 my brat an then they will tell to call back but i doo reely want or need a campertop for the brat ,cameo id drive it camoed and rusted till wheels falll off or broke into:grin:

can have the topper mrs hag or can i buy it . jus started a new job get paid two weeks start my first week monday . my ph. num is 1-828-689-5266 if can afford long dist. i cant tryin to fix up ol 81 to sell too jon of walden but u decide to call leeve a mess. or if some one pics up tell that ur callin 4 my brat an then they will tell to call back but i doo reely want or need a campertop for the brat ,cameo id drive it camoed and rusted till wheels falll off or broke into:grin:

The wheels ARE ready to fall off, and quite frankly, so is everything else! I have and will drive anything, but even this beast is beyond my even my sense of safety.

I have 3 Gen2 toppers. They won't fit Gen1. Sorry.

There is a salvagable gas filler door... who needed that? It's painted camo.

Mary, save the drivetrain and motor; you won't be sorry. My '84 Brat has over 200K on the engine when I bought it from Zap and I ran it for 3 years or more (CRS strikes again) before replacing the engine with a "hot" motor. Only reason I don't have the original gearbox is that I upgraded to a 5 speed. Corky added the LSD kernal to the original rear differential for me and everything is still working.

My now departed '86 BRAT (RIP) had 183k on the ticker when the guy I bought it from got it. He put in fresh gas and battery and fired it up. His boys baja'd around the corn fields for a while in it, then I bought it. I drove it for about a year as my daily driver, with no engine problems. Rust was the reason I had to get rid of it, was way to far gone to be saved.

So yeah, I'd keep the engine/tranny, maybe the rear diff, part out the rest.

I would be interested in the trim panel for the inside backwall of the cab, myself. Not sure how easy it would be to ship though. Possibly some other interior stuff, have to go thru my stash here and see what I need to replace.