Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got the obw back from the shop (replaced left rear suspension components...strut, spindel and some other stuff total was 380$) and everytime the rear gets some stress on it( speed bump), it makes a sound like a worn box spring on a matteres... like its not lubed or sumtin...also for w/e reason the car looks lower to the ground, but not lopsided to one side or anything, just overall lower...my eyes, or is something wrong?? THANKS

do we even need the sway bar?

You don't "need" it, but it greatly improves emergency handling, and all aroud performance in turns. you can live without it, but it would be like living without candy, you wouldn't want to. If the "we" involves your parents, which i assume it does, then yes, you need it.

Maybe you should be more careful in your 'rents car next time :lol:

I've got a 97' Legacy Sedan making that same kinda noise "like an old box spring mattress".... I like it... However, my noise seems to be coming from the front two wheels when I go over speed bumps... is it my struts or my springs or the CV boot????? I don't know what it is but it kinda worries me when I got over bumps... Also, I have been get a burning plastic kinda smell from the driver's side of my engine... any clue what that could be from?

However, my noise seems to be coming from the front two wheels when I go over speed bumps... is it my struts or my springs or the CV boot?????
If it's cold right now (I see that you're from Washington), it's probably your bumper and other various plastic trim pieces creaking. All of our Subarus do that when it is cold. If it is a crunchy plasticky sound, that's probably what it is. It usually happens when we first back down the driveway in the morning, until the car warms up. Also, the bushings probably creak when they are cold. If it goes away when the car is warmed up, I'm not so sure I would worry about it.

Brian M.