Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 to EJ22 swap in progress- advice?

ive done the EA to EJ before, but this will be my first EJ to EJ :-p

car- 94 impreza AWD 5spd EJ18 with EGR, no AC...

engine bought yesterday from junkyard out of 93 legacy wagon 4EAT, non-EGR, AC (removed by me)

boils down to having a longblock EJ22 with most of its manifold parts in tact.. and I belive i need to put new HGs on it just to be safe, and all the other parts as well... (pumps, reseal gaskets, plugs, ect...)

i am going to just re-use my flywheel and clutch for the mean time, cause I plan to get the DR swap soon :brow:

so my question, is should I use my manifold on the EJ22 longblock? (remember the EGR plumbing) so that my electronics line up? or... should I use my EJ18 wire harness, and install it on the sensors that are in the EJ22 manifold....?

just seeing if anyone has done this before with sucess...

also, if anyone is selling spare parts for these engines, i am in the market!

swap engine harness form EJ18 onto EJ22 intake manifold. that way you can use your stock wiring. you might need the EJ22 exhaust manifold, the EJ18 might be single port, and since the EJ22 came form a legacy, im guesing it is dual port exhaust heads. you cant swpa the EJ18 intake mani. onto the EJ22 shortblock, the intake manifold follows the heads: EJ18 heads=EJ18 manifold , EJ22 heads=EJ22 manifold. you get the idea. should be for the most part straight forward and pretty easy. but as usual, motor swaps rarely go off without a hitch somewhere.

~Josh~

Gee ballitch, everyone that I have ever asked about doing the EJ18 to EJ22 conversion have said to switch the intakes, some have told me that is what they did and it works fine. So where are you getting your information from?

Austin, for most people I would tell them to take the easy route, not knowing their mechanical abilities, but in you case, I'd say be adventurous, see if you can use the EJ18 engine wire harness on the EJ22.

Just wire up a resistor in the EGR electronics circuit. Then you can use the EJ22 manifold. If you use the EJ22 ECU, you shouldn't need the EGR valve.

Main issue I can see with this though is the EGR piping. You'll either have to put a blank plate on the piping going up to the EGR valve, or swap the exhaust piping from the Legacy.

Just wire up a resistor in the EGR electronics circuit. Then you can use the EJ22 manifold. If you use the EJ22 ECU, you shouldn't need the EGR valve.

Main issue I can see with this though is the EGR piping. You'll either have to put a blank plate on the piping going up to the EGR valve, or swap the exhaust piping from the Legacy.

I'm not sure if the ECUs are interchangeable. I do know that there are fewer wire to splice if you start with an EJ18 car then if you start with an EJ22 car when doing a JDM WRX engine swap.

all the EJ18s as far as I have ever seen are dual port.. and all EJ22s are dual port up to 96.5ish (then they switched to phase2 EJ22)

I would like to use the EJ22 manifold.. I am going to experement with the wireing, wich means I am heading back to the junkyard and pulling an intake, or at least just the wires from a matching impreza.. so that I can prefit everything before i try to do it with no running car... (btw, i got the imp going again for temporary on the EJ18..)

got permission from the boss at work to do all the work in the shop after I get off the clock :banana: (yay for warm shop and lift!)

so I am gonna tear down the EJ22 first, and replace all the need-to-replace parts including HGs (just to be safe)

as far as buying my EJ18 subylvr2122- you can! if you want.. once this whole thing is complete, i will let you know whats left (most likley a longblock with intake?) the longblock is in very nice shape, it just will need new belt pullys, seals, ect.. but the crank/cam and heads are in great shape :D i will probably do 120 bucks+shipping for the EJ18 once the EJ22 is in and working well....

side note- one of the mnsubaru guys at my work has a 96 imp L with the phase2 EJ22, and he is running a 99 OBW EJ25 ECU.. he said it plugged in and works?! (although he gets a CEL with codes for the EGR and i assume the second cam sensor) I dont belive him 100% but he is pretty knowledgable

as for the EGR resistor, does anyone know the resistance@ normal operating temp?

thanks for the advice, everyone!

keep it coming :cool:

I think I will start doing some write-ups when I am done so people will know what works :D

I would think the ECU for a second gen EJ22 and a 99 EJ25 would be more compatible then the ECU from an EJ18 and an EJ22 (gen I), I got my wiring diagram out for my 96, eventhough the plug the mates to the ECU is the same, the wiring is different with regards to the crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor. On the EJ18 ECU the crank senor wire teminate at 8, 28 and 29, on teh EJ22 ECU they therminate at 8, 29, and 54. As for the cam angle sensor there is only one termination of the EJ18 ECU at 7, on the EJ22 ECU there are two, at 28 and 7. There is also a difference in the TPS terminations.

• 5 years later...