Ultimate Subaru Message Board

? how to dyno ea82t ft4wd ?

1. DO I really need to find a 4 wheel dyno?

supposedbly there is only one dyno in the state, and it is 2 wheel :banghead:

2. what gear should be used?

I'm guessing 4th, closest to "direct drive"

3. how high should the rpm be allowed to go?

I'm guessing 8,000 , it's a subaru :eek:

4. what else? :confused:

first off, are you dyno'ing for an emissions test, or just to see how much power youre making? if there is no AWD dyno you can use you may be exempt for emissions.

however, if youre looking for power numbers, yes you need an AWD dyno.

third gear is most commonly used in dyno pulls.

i would think the tech would take it all the way til the rev limiter kicks in.

I met a guy the other day. He done a dyno on his brat. Something like 44KW in 2WD and 30KW in 4WD...

Do you have AWD or 4WD? Because if your a road go'er then you'd use 2WD right? So that means you only really need to know 2WD power. Knowing 4WD power is nice too. Unless you have a AWD gearbox. In that case I think you can only run on a AWD dyno. Otherwise your car might go flying! :eek:

I met a guy the other day. He done a dyno on his brat. Something like 44KW in 2WD and 30KW in 4WD...

Do you have AWD or 4WD? Because if your a road go'er then you'd use 2WD right? So that means you only really need to know 2WD power. Knowing 4WD power is nice too. Unless you have a AWD gearbox. In that case I think you can only run on a AWD dyno. Otherwise your car might go flying! :eek:

Considering the topic is "How to dyno ea82t FT4WD ?" ... I would think he means his car is a full-time 4wheel drive. If you're dyno'ing for power you need an awd dyno... either that or take out one of your rear half axles.. but you wont get accurate reading I don't think.

here is a link that might help

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

the EA82 FSM is from an '89 MY - it covers speedo calibration with FT4WD on a 2WD dyno - may get some ideas in there .... but read all the warnings

I would not push the engine too far past redline - these things can throw rods past 6500 if they aren't built (forged pistons, rods) - I have heard several people say they threw ones at 7200 (don't exactally who, but I think Snowman had that expierence), so be careful - you won't always get a warning before it happens either - 8k is a bit high for an engine as old as these

unless you had something done to the cams or other mods, you won't get much power past 5000-5200 - I think peak hp ratings dwell in that area, with some as low as 4800 - valves can start to float past 6k too, mine usually do it around 5800-6200

good luck

1. AWD/4WD Dyno ONLY for the FT4WDs. YOu can do 2WD with the PART TIME 4WD.

2. 3rd gear, high range. 4th takes too long to pull, and yeilds the same numbers.

3. 6,500 RPM if its a stock internal EA82 (T/C/S)engine. 12,500 if its the F1 engine....21,000 if its a CURRENT F1 engine. 8,500 if its a Spec C/TypeR/TypeRA JDM engine. 7,000 if its a standard EJ205/EJ207/EJ257. 6250 if its a standard EJxxx SOHC N/A engine. 6,500 if its a standard EJxxx DOHC N/A engine.

4. Haul rump roast.