Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermitant Smoke

Here's one that makes me go Hummmmm......

1990 Subaru Loyal, SW, 1800cc, automatic, 2wd, non-turbo, 135,000 miles.

Every so often, on sweeping left turns at speeds of around 55-65 mph (ie acceleration ramps onto interstates) a large puff of blue smoke will emit from the exhaust. This is bad enough to obstruct rear vision. This causes the car to bogg momentarily. Once turn is complete smoke subsides engine smooths out and runs like nothing happened. Smoke has more of a kordite smell than oil. Of course this is rediculous. It must either be oil or drive fluid. I've only noticed this on left handers but most entrances on clover leafs etc are left hand turns. I can only assume that this is due to centrifical force moving the fluid to right side. I do have a leak on a valve cover on the right side; but a major leak onto the exhaust would not explain the engine bogg. This is obviously entering the cumbustion chamber some way. The car has always run well and cool with no missing what so ever until the big blue cloud engulfs everyone behind me. The only oil consumption that I can ascertain is coming from leaks around the valve covers. Anybody got any suggestions as to what is causing the big blue puff??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i don't remember exactly the cause but i believe it has something to do with the pcv system. there is a cure for it, but i don't remember what it is. i'm almost no help here at all i guess , but it's a common problem that can be fixed. so i guess you can do a search for it. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

i don't know if this will help, i had a similiar problem on a vehicle with automatic transmission, a pinhole in vacum diaphram, it would allow atf into vacum line then under certain conditions (high vacum at idle, certain angles or turns) it would suck the atf into intake manifold causing rough running and huge amounts of smoke. i didn't notice any atf consumtion, finally figured it out by putting a Q-tip into vacum line and saw pink. dunno if subie has vacum diaphram or not

It happens on angled right hand turns usually. There was

a technical service bulletin released in '91 that deals with it.

I don't have the bulletin, but it's a PCV problem involving the

small pcv line going into the intake. It causes vacuum to pull

oil in there. The part number for the mod. is #11813AA010.

It's like $30-40 from the dealer. Or try to find the parts off

a '92-'94 model. The modification involves replacing the small

hose with a normal 5/8th one that tee's into the intake with

the hose from the passenger side valve cover. And plugging

the small hole of course.

There are several threads on this problem, and as I recall, the "fix" kinda solved the problem, but the reality was some with the newer ones still had problems with the smoke - I think if you search, you may find the TSB itself

a while back Snowman was working on a device to seperate the oil out, and possibly eliminate the PCV all together - but I don't know if he ever finished it

my car does it too, and I think of it as a creative and extremely effective way to get a white Mercedes (or any other nice car) off my tail :D

if it is not driving you insane, I would not worry about it - I usually ignore it - and for there to be a LOT of smoke, you have to have a LOT of oil build up, which indicates other issues - generally I have found that if I take two downhill right hand turns in a day, I get smoke on the first, and none on the second

Well, you could always put a homemade oil catch can on there.

Do a search on the web and you'll find quite a few different ways

of making a cheap one. Ebay has a lot of cheap ones as well.

Even if you don't see smoke, it still can be pulling in oil, just not

as much. My car doesn't do it anymore, but when it did I had 3

on-ramps in the area that I would avoid like the plague.

I never cease to be amazed at the input from this board. Thanks for the part # and other info. At least I know its a common problem. I'll follow up with our local "Subby" dealer. Armed with the number maybe they won't try to side step me.

Thanks again,

Hayne

I've heard rumors, that a bit of steel wool or a scotch brite pad in the hoze will allow airflow, but not allow oil flow, might check that out too.

Hummm....Ain't no rumor. I recall somthing the coursness of a scouring pad being used in older cars. Good idea.

I've heard rumors, that a bit of steel wool or a scotch brite pad in the hoze will allow airflow, but not allow oil flow, might check that out too.

that does make sense, and I think it would work, my only concern would be that it secured in place well, because that could do some nasty stuff to the engine if it gets sucked into the intake

hey - isn't that the same thing as an oil bath air filter????

that does make sense, and I think it would work, my only concern would be that it secured in place well, because that could do some nasty stuff to the engine if it gets sucked into the intake

hey - isn't that the same thing as an oil bath air filter????

Yeah. That's kind of what I was invisioning. I'd think it would also have to be cleaned out or replaced on occasion.

These work pretty nicely from what I've seen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD5BX/qid=1137171973/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-1297636-0200048?n=507846&s=hi&v=glance

Take the filter element out and put in some steel wool maybe. Or leave it

in and clean it when it gets gunked up.

Or just get a cheap one off Ebay. There's a few going for $8 +shipping.

http://search.ebay.com/oil-catch-can_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

A chrome one should give you some extra hp too! :lol:

DANG GUYS!!!! You gotta be impressed. Extra power, extra MPG. Considering what it is designed to do; it may even stop that bloody spark ping I can't adjust out. Its something to look into.

You'd think since lack of one causes the engine to dump a smoke screen into the air that would rival that laid by destroyers during WWII; the EPA would have made Subby recall the offenders.

Thanks again all, for the advice.