Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Frequency Pulsing when Turning?

I have a 93 Legacy wagon that leaks PS fluid - about 1/2 quart a year. As an added bonus, it leaks right on top of my cat, producing a nice burning smell that eventually accumulates in the car. Smart Service quoted me over 500 bucks to repair it. It would require replacing the whole steering rack, and they're not so cheap nor is Smart's labor (though its quality stuff). So far, I've opted for the 1/2 pint of fluid every year. Maybe when my cohones begin to swell, I'll get a reman'd rack and go to town. I think I'll tackle that manual rack on the EA81 first.

I took my power steering reservoir off and found a damaged o-ring! I replaced the o-ring and am waiting to find out if the leak has stopped. There's so much PS fluid hiding under my hood, I can't tell what's new and what's old. I mopped much of it out, but I can't get it all. If the level doesn't decrease like it has been, I'm golden!

Tires will be rotated soon, couple weeks. That should eliminate one of our guesses. I'll also do a wheel bearing check at that time too.

Reid

• 1 month later...

So......

I got my tires rotated and the sound got worse for about 25 minutes, then it went back to normal. Still coming from the left front, still only in turns. Dealer did their "25 pt inspection" and came back with nothing other than my PS seal which had put PS fluid all over the block.

Is there a new axle in my future? Someone said earlier the OEM remanufactured ones are a good deal and are available online or from the dealer...anyone have a price or a link?

Thanks,

Reid

So......

I got my tires rotated and the sound got worse for about 25 minutes, then it went back to normal. Still coming from the left front, still only in turns. Dealer did their "25 pt inspection" and came back with nothing other than my PS seal which had put PS fluid all over the block.

Is there a new axle in my future? Someone said earlier the OEM remanufactured ones are a good deal and are available online or from the dealer...anyone have a price or a link?

Thanks,

Reid

i started buying OE axles after i went through 5 axles cause the stupid idot working on the car couldnt get the right one. Got the one from the dealer never had a problem. i was pleasantly surprised at the dealer price for the axles. Call your local dealr and ask

nipper

• 4 weeks later...

Problem solved.

Two shot front wheel bearings.

I got them replaced and the car is whisper quiet now. What I used to perceive as "road noise" is now completely gone. This car is now a quiet smooth ride. I think because they failed so slowly I acclimated to the increased noise.

Now I know what it sounds like and I won't miss it again.

Reid

in future, all you have to do is jack up front of car and wiggle top and bottom, and side to side on the wheel, if it moves, its going bad, and if they get too bad, they will seize the wheel and make you buy a new knuckle. glad you figured out your problems, how much did they charge you for the wheel bearing replacements?

~Josh~