Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Crank Pulley- Please help

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. The check engine light recently came on, so I took it in to have it checked. The test said that all cylinders misfire and there is a problem with the TPS. The engine is vibrating badly and it appears to be caused by the front crank pulley. I need to take it to a Subaru dealership to have them look at it because they weren't the ones that did the test. The car does drive fine. I have noticed a slight knocking sound and a lugging when it goes to shift sometimes. If anyone can offer any advice or has any idea how much a fix like this might cost, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

What makes you think something is wrong with the crank pulley? Have you checked to see if it is tight when the engine is not running? If you have a multi meter I think I would check the coil pack. Get you a Haynes manuel if you dont have one and it will tell you how to check it, it's really easy.

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. The check engine light recently came on, so I took it in to have it checked. The test said that all cylinders misfire and there is a problem with the TPS. The engine is vibrating badly and it appears to be caused by the front crank pulley. I need to take it to a Subaru dealership to have them look at it because they weren't the ones that did the test. The car does drive fine. I have noticed a slight knocking sound and a lugging when it goes to shift sometimes. If anyone can offer any advice or has any idea how much a fix like this might cost, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't believe that the marks for the crank sensor are on the pully, they are on a small toothed wheel behind the pully, you may just need a crank sensor.

If you start your car and look at the pully, be careful to keep your tie or cords from your hoodie away from the spinning parts, look at the pully, it should not be wobbeling, if it is, it should be replaced.

The TPS is easy to test if you have a DVOM, you should be able to backprobe two wires and see that the resistance goes down as you open the throttle, if there is a dead spot then it should be replaced.

Maybe they seen some play in it. Some have been known to work loose.

the dealership said that they thought it was the front crank pulley based on the findings from the diagnostic test. But they want me to take it to a Subaru dealership to see what they think.

The factory one would be about 200 from the dealer, plus about 60 bucks to install it. there are aftermarket ones that are cheaper, the "high performance" ones, should be able to find one for 75-125 ish, mine is going out on my 96, when it lets go i plan on putting on a cheap aftermarket one.

Its actually easy to do yourself, all you'd need is a half inch ratchet and a 22mm short socket, and a 12mm wrench to tighten up the alternator and powersteering when you're done.

Usually only one thing causes a loose crank pulley. The bolt holding the crank pulley was UNDERTORQUED when the timing belt was replaced. If that is the case, the crank keyway will be badly mangled. The dealership may even suggest a new engine. Other have on this board have repaired the keyway by welding and maching. Let us know what you find.

Are there a lot of problems with the crank pulley in general? I really don't know a lot about cars, but my mom said I will probably have to replace my engine and transmission. The guy I talked to at the dealership didn't make it sound bad. I would think if there was a big problem with either my engine or transmission it wouldn't drive well. Everything seems fine except for the the knocking sound and the check engine light coming on.

Dont forget that over torqued can streach and weaken also.

Usually only one thing causes a loose crank pulley. The bolt holding the crank pulley was UNDERTORQUED when the timing belt was replaced. If that is the case, the crank keyway will be badly mangled. The dealership may even suggest a new engine. Other have on this board have repaired the keyway by welding and maching. Let us know what you find.

Personally, I'd take it somewhere else. Their diagnosis of having misfires...while it may be true or not....I don't know....is not caused by a TPS (Throttle positioning sensor). Or were they saying it needed a TPS in addition to the misfires?

The front pullies on subarus can be an issue due to mechanics not torquing that front main crank pulley bolt correctly. The pulley has a rubber piece between the inner and outer pieces to absorb vibration. It's possible that might be damaged.

If the pulley was loose, I would have hoped they would have just tightened it up....otherwise I'd want some more details as to what exactly is the issue.

I'd also highly recommend you post in the meet & greet forum and see if there's anyone else that lives in your area, that can recommend a good subaru mechanic.

Thank you to everyone for help. I have an appointment on Thursday at the Subaru dealership. My co-workers huband who works where I took it said that they think it's the crank pulley because it can cause the misfires, but they did also say it would need a new TPS. He thinks I might need a new engine. Which sounds scary to me, I love my Subie. I expected to have it around much longer! I am not sure if I can afford a new engine, but I am eager for a 2nd opinion. Any other comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for help. I have an appointment on Thursday at the Subaru dealership. My co-workers huband who works where I took it said that they think it's the crank pulley because it can cause the misfires, but they did also say it would need a new TPS. He thinks I might need a new engine. Which sounds scary to me, I love my Subie. I expected to have it around much longer! I am not sure if I can afford a new engine, but I am eager for a 2nd opinion. Any other comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Like I ALREADY posted, even if the crankshaft keyway is destroyed, the crankshaft CAN BE REPAIRED. Several people on this board have welded and re-machined in a new keyway. You're just going to have to hold tight and see the mechanics at the dealership have to say.

Like I ALREADY posted, even if the crankshaft keyway is destroyed, the crankshaft CAN BE REPAIRED. Several people on this board have welded and re-machined in a new keyway. You're just going to have to hold tight and see the mechanics at the dealership have to say.

I know, it's tough waiting. Do you think that the dealership would be willing to repair the crankshaft if it were distroyed? I am not sure what that entails. I would think fixing the crankshaft and getting a new TPS would be much easier and much cheaper than getting a new engine.

Here in Colorado a guy created a way to fix broken/damaged keyway's. His shop is s-wingstuff in Denver. Ask for Mike. Kit isn't cheap but its alot cheaper than most of the alternatives and it actually works, I have done 2 of them so far. Moral of the story is to locktite the crank pulley bolt and torque it to 120 ft lbs.

http://www.s-wingsstuff.com/

So, I took my Subie into the dealership today and they did not have good news for me. They said that it is the crank pulley, but could also be the transmission. Estimated cost to repair is $3500. Unfortunatly, I do not have the money to fix her, so I will be forced to sell her. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in a nice car that needs some work, but if so please let me know. It is with great regret that I have to sell my car and use my grandparents' car until I can afford to buy a new car. It is a 1997 Legacy Brighton with almost 88,000 miles. Paint is red and there is some damage to the hood from someone that backed into the car, right now it is covered pretty nicely by a bra. I just put new all weather tires on her in November 2004 with Les Schwab warrenty, new breaks, just had a tune up, transmission service and a new windshield installed.

Sounds like you need to go to another shop, they dont know if it is the transmission or the crank pully but they know it is going to cost 3500.00 dollars. I am sure they will be able to fix it for that.

So, I took my Subie into the dealership today and they did not have good news for me. They said that it is the crank pulley, but could also be the transmission. Estimated cost to repair is $3500. Unfortunatly, I do not have the money to fix her, so I will be forced to sell her. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in a nice car that needs some work, but if so please let me know. It is with great regret that I have to sell my car and use my grandparents' car until I can afford to buy a new car. It is a 1997 Legacy Brighton with almost 88,000 miles. Paint is red and there is some damage to the hood from someone that backed into the car, right now it is covered pretty nicely by a bra. I just put new all weather tires on her in November 2004 with Les Schwab warrenty, new breaks, just had a tune up, transmission service and a new windshield installed.

my friend hosed his crank pulley on his toyota in florida (someone didn't reinstall it properly). i looked up machine shops on Yahoo Yellow Pages in his area in florida (i'm in maryland). i called around until i found one that said they'd take a look at it. the dealer and one other shop quoted him thousands of dollars to replace the motor just because of a bad crank pulley. BS. it is fixable, you just need to find someone willing to fix it. after about the 3rd phone call i got a guy that was willling to have a look and seemed like a good guy. $500 later and he saved his truck and buttloads of money. i'd suggest contacting a few machine shops, show them pictures if you have too if it's not driveable.

have fun,

gary

You might also try reaching richierich in Portland. He runs an independent Subaru only repair shop. I'm sure he can do better for you than the dealer in Bend. Does the car drive at all? I know Bend is quite a distance from Portland. Good luck. Something isn't right that you should be having that trouble with a Legacy with only 88K on it. Who's the last one who had the crank pulley off and why?

• 3 weeks later...

So, I called Midas, who I thought might has last touched my crank pulley because they recently did a tune up for me. They said they didn't touch it, but would put a new on in for $20 if I got one. Sounded like a good deal to me, so I called around looking for the part. I called the Subaru Guru. He is awsome! He asked me a little about what was going on and I told him the situation. He told me to bring it down and he'd look at it for free. I took her in. He called me, and said he would fix the pulley, the shaft, the tps and the problem I've had with the shift interlock as well as doing my 100k service for $600. Sounds great to me! A lot better than the $3500 that TS&S was telling me. They were going to charge just the crank pulley for $800. He also mentioned that I need to have my front axle boots replaced soon because they are cracked. This something TS&S didn't even notice! I am very happy and can pick up my baby on Monday!:banana: