Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remove intake when pulling engine on 98 Outback?

Hi,

I'm in the midst of pulling the engine on my '98 Legacy Ouback. The Haynes manual says to remove the intake manifold, etc. and I can't see any good reason to...with all the connectors & hoses disconnected it seems like the engine will come out just fine as a complete assembly with the manifold, TB etc.

Do the good folks at Haynes know something I don't?

Thanks,

Nathan

The Haynes manual is stupid.

You don't need to remove the intake manifold. Just disconnect everything from the engine and remove it as a whole unit.

Thanks! I needed confirmation from Someone Who Knows. As a side note...this is my first Subaru engine out job and I have to say what a pleasure it is working on a Suby! I've done engine out jobs on Hondas, BMWs, MGs, a Ford (uh, never mind that last one) and the Subaru is NICE NICE NICE to work on.

Thanks again,

nathan

I've only seen it on a manual I helped a neighbor with. It seemed to be corrosion on the pins. If some of the folks who have done several comment here we will both know if the automatics can stick too. I was looking for a hidden bolt, but it was just stuck.

sometimes it's beneficial to unbolt the intake from the block, hold the intake up enough to pull block and drop another in and yo'ure done. two new intake manifolds later and you didn't have to disconnect the throttle cable, disconnect hoses, wires, grounds, sensors, etc. probably works out to about the same either way, i've done it both ways.

The Haynes manual is stupid.

You don't need to remove the intake manifold. Just disconnect everything from the engine and remove it as a whole unit.

Haynes says to remove the intake manifold to change the knock sensor!! That is REALLY overkill...

Haynes says to remove the intake manifold to change the knock sensor!! That is REALLY overkill...

that's hysterical if it's true.

those manuals are usually overboard, but so are recommendations i see here on the board (and have given!!!!), but doesn't make it all bad!

I have a question.

If you don't remove the intake, how do you get access to the Torque converter to drive plate nuts. The inspection cover is conceled by the intake. Is it that easy to do it from below? If you pull the torque converter with the engine, how hard is it to line everything back up when you toss the engine in.

i dont pull the intake off because its nice to tie a rop around it and hoist motor out with intake. ya you have to re-connect al the cables and wiring, but its not that big of a deal. and ya, haynes is stupid, i learn more form this board than any haynes manual ive ever seen.

~Josh~

I removed the 2.5 from my 97 legacy outback just last night to repair the dreaded head gaskets. Came out fairly easy with the intake manifold intact on the engine. Removed intake once I had it on the floor. Hardest part of that---by far---was trying to figure out the #^%#%$^ connector to the water temp sender on the cross pipe. Here's a tip---use a screwdriver and push perpindicular to the connector, and it will rock and unlatch. In fact I think the hardest thing about working on my Subaru is trying to figure out how to disconnect the wiring at the connections.

I have a question.

If you don't remove the intake, how do you get access to the Torque converter to drive plate nuts. The inspection cover is conceled by the intake. Is it that easy to do it from below? If you pull the torque converter with the engine, how hard is it to line everything back up when you toss the engine in.

You can get at the bolts with the intake on. A ratcheting wrench works wonders for those bolts.

Lets here that again after you get the engine seperated from the tranny.

They can be sticky.

Cookie, I pulled the engine today and your words were ringing in my ears...the engine was stuck to the trans- those darn pins were a real headache. Additonally, there are NO casting ears or anything you can pry against to help separate the engine from the trans. I ended up spraying with penetrating oil, put the clutch slave cyl back on and depressed the clutch pedal (hey, a little well centered force against the flywheel can't hurt) rocked, prodded, tapped and generally finagled for hours untill they split apart. It came apart kinda suddenly... I hope I didn't bend the input shaft to the trans or anything... the two lower studs on the block came out with the nuts, so there wasn't that extra guidance to take the strain. I think it's going to be ok.

Nathan

Cookie, I pulled the engine today and your words were ringing in my ears...the engine was stuck to the trans- those darn pins were a real headache. Additonally, there are NO casting ears or anything you can pry against to help separate the engine from the trans. I ended up spraying with penetrating oil, put the clutch slave cyl back on and depressed the clutch pedal (hey, a little well centered force against the flywheel can't hurt) rocked, prodded, tapped and generally finagled for hours untill they split apart. It came apart kinda suddenly... I hope I didn't bend the input shaft to the trans or anything... the two lower studs on the block came out with the nuts, so there wasn't that extra guidance to take the strain. I think it's going to be ok.

Nathan

It will be fine. Next time just gently use a screwdriver and work up to a prybar inbetween the bellhousings.