Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aright, I have been using this foroum for a few days and it's pretty neat, but what I want to see is mods that you can do for free IE removing, this, drilling that, ductapink this thing to that thing(mostly sometic hopefully) and anything you can do fro free or with stuff you got laying aorund in order to make your sube faster, sound better, look better, more comfy, anything you can think of pics greatly appreciasted as well as how twos.

So far I have heard of removing the snorkel thingy to get better sound

Duct tape racing strips and speed holes.

Even with money, there isn't a whole lot you can do to make a non-turbo car any faster. It already breathes pretty well, but if you were to find some borla headers assuming you have dual port exhaust and had a shop fab up a bigger exhaust you could probably get a few more horsepower. If you shopped around and got the header used, you could probably do it for like $300. You could probably also get some delta cams, which I believe are $60 per side. That's about it for more power.

The other thing you could improve is the handling and braking. There are always sets of used suspension, wheels/tires, and brake stuff from other subarus on the classifieds here and at nasioc, etc.

The only thing you can do for free is reduce weight, thats it, on you and the car, start throwing up like lindsy lohan, and gut the entire interior except the shifter and the seat. Break out the glass too, thats real heavy, and you don't really need that spare anyway. :rolleyes:

For cheap, a tuneup won't hurt, will at least get you back to OE horsepower.

For moderate, Perfect Power 6 is a good engine management system, combine that with headers and a high flow cat midsection, and your 2.2 or 2.5 could be pushing around 170-200 horsepower.

If you want to go for the gusto, an engine swap, or turbo kit would be the way to go, but thats anywhere from 3-8 k.

Really, put your money into suspension and brakes, you'll notice the difference there more then you would in the engine, and you get much more bang for your buck.

try www.rallitek.com they'll have everything you're looking for.

The only thing you can do for free is reduce weight, thats it, on you and the car, start throwing up like lindsy lohan,

ah hahahaha. Right, forgot about that.

It's absolutely correct. Power to weight is key. Ditch the interior, A/C, carpet, spare tire, and all the crap in the trunk.

And you can do a WRX driveline swap into pretty much any newer Subaru for around $6000. Aerosim in Costa Mesa will find the parts, do the work, and even put in the dash.

On an old car, making sure nothing is dragging like breaks, mufflers, bits of undercarriage can make a big difference. The brakes dragged hardcore on my beater legacy (you couldn't push it downhill) but it still kicked butt. SO if you make sure that everything spins easily, you're one step better. Take the intake snorkel off. There is a legacy 2towns over that has a mini hood scoop and a cone filter hooked up where the airbox used to be. Not sure how long the maf will last though, go with a paper element if you do something like that. exhaust. the headers aren't too bad, it's just the rest is too small. my exhaust fell off behind the cat, and it ran tits and sounded like a v8 at idle, then ripped your head off at 4+ grand. It was great. pulled hard enough to slip the clutch too.

Ditch weight. If you ditch the ac condenser, hoses, compressor, reciever/dryer, insulation and carpets, and spare tires you can drop like 100lbs. Switch to tube doors and you saved yourself another 120lbs. Ditch the hatch and save more, though you will have to custom 3rd brake light and liscence plate.

Alloy rims. If you save 10lbs a rim, that's weight that counts double or more because the engine doesn't have to immediately accelerate it. I'm looking for rims that Honda put on the civic HX because they weigh 8lbs less each than the stock steelies on the Civic si.