Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It sounds like your "duty C" solenoid is acting up in your Auto tranny. I'm no expert, but there have been a few threads about this very thing in the last month or so, if you do a search, people with better knowledge then me will have the answer that you're looking for.

First thing First. Under the hood you have a fuse holder marked FWD on the passenger side toward the firewall. PLace a fuse in there (this deactivates the AWD) and see if it goes away. Yes it can happen more on one turn then the other in the very begining. My OBW was like that for some reason.

Do the fuse thing and reprt back

nipper

Look up torque bind, but the first thing they are all going to tel you is flush the tranny, 90% of the time it fixes it.

nipper

I don't mean to steal the thread here, but what does a tranny flush have to do with torque bind? I just don't see how a tranny flush would do any good.:-\

Part of the problem is gum/dirt in the clutch pack and DUty C valve.. When you flush the transmission fluid, the new fluid takes seems to dissolve the gum and cure the problem.

Its a 100.00 fix versues a possibly unecassary 1000.00 repair.

If you dont beleive me, do a search on torque bind and look how many people had it go away with a tranny flush.

Tranny fluid changes are amoung the least changed fluids in the car (followed by differnential fluid and brake fluid).

nipper

Part of the problem is gum/dirt in the clutch pack and DUty C valve.. When you flush the transmission fluid, the new fluid takes seems to dissolve the gum and cure the problem.

If you dont beleive me, do a search on torque bind and look how many people had it go away with a tranny flush.

Tranny fluid changes are amoung the least changed fluids in the car (followed by differnential fluid and brake fluid).

nipper

I have seen all of the posts suggesting it and it's seemingly positive outcome, it just never made any sense to me. I am not challenging you, I was just wondering.:)

My solenoid C problems are quite intermittent, and generally only appear on weekend (no particular reason). The flush had no apparent effect for me, but that's not to say it can't be effective (and obviously is for many people!). I intend to live with it until it worsens to the point that I either get up enough courage to fix it myself (not preferred) or simply unhook the driveshaft and live with FWD.

nipper

Hayden:

I have a 96GT automatic, and got the dreaded torque bind earlier this winter. I was skeptical about the tranny flush (really just a couple of drain and refills), but it worked great to me - no more bind!

The 'flush' is easy to do - easier than an oil change. No need to drop the pan, as the trans has a drain plug on the driver's side. Just turn the wheels to the left, jack up the driver's side, and the drain plug is right there. Drain a 1/2 gallon, refill, drive the car, then drain and refill again, etc. (Each drain only gets part of the total trans fluid out, so you need to repeat it a coupla times).

Folks also swear by a trans fluid treatment made by Seafoam. I tried it with one of the changes, and it may have helped - hard to tell. Make sure you get the trans additive - they make other additives, too (be sure not to put fuel or oil additive in the tranny). I'm pretty sure NAPA carries the stuff.

First thing First. Under the hood you have a fuse holder marked FWD on the passenger side toward the firewall. PLace a fuse in there (this deactivates the AWD) and see if it goes away. Yes it can happen more on one turn then the other in the very begining. My OBW was like that for some reason.

Do the fuse thing and reprt back

nipper

hey

i just had a ook a coudnt find any fuse holder on that side but on the drivers side there is an empty one that says diff lock

Hayden:

I have a 96GT automatic, and got the dreaded torque bind earlier this winter. I was skeptical about the tranny flush (really just a couple of drain and refills), but it worked great to me - no more bind!

The 'flush' is easy to do - easier than an oil change. No need to drop the pan, as the trans has a drain plug on the driver's side. Just turn the wheels to the left, jack up the driver's side, and the drain plug is right there. Drain a 1/2 gallon, refill, drive the car, then drain and refill again, etc. (Each drain only gets part of the total trans fluid out, so you need to repeat it a coupla times).

Folks also swear by a trans fluid treatment made by Seafoam. I tried it with one of the changes, and it may have helped - hard to tell. Make sure you get the trans additive - they make other additives, too (be sure not to put fuel or oil additive in the tranny). I'm pretty sure NAPA carries the stuff.

ok thanks i will give it a go and see how it goes cheers

You're in the UK or somewhere with a right hand drive I take it? Perhaps these were matched differently there.

hey

i just had a ook a coudnt find any fuse holder on that side but on the drivers side there is an empty one that says diff lock