Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what the differnce between 2wd and 4wd motors

i need to know the differnces there could between a ea-81 motor on a frontwheel drive car compared to the motor in my hatch ea-81 4wd. my hatch is 86 and the donor car has front wheel drive, 1985 or older. when i was looking for a carb at the jy the other day they said there was a differnce.

Lets see, carb (could both be Hitachi, but will be different model usually, and could be different even if cars are otherwise the same (feedback/non). C/W only had a single model), distributor, coil, vacuum routing (different for 2WD, 2WD Auto, 4WD, and 4WD Auto).... those are the major ones.

Starters are different sometimes for auto/manual. One is a different reduction.

If you are talking Hitachi carbs, they are even different models on different years... get the number off the float body on the carb to get an exact match. In reality they are pretty much all interchangable, but what you DONT want is to accidentally get a feedback if you don't have it. Non feedback can be alright, but you'll have to plug off stuff, and disconnect things to make it work if you have the feedback gear and ECU.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

A major difference with the EA81 manual transmission motor is the clutch and flywheel. 2WD clutch has a 7-7/8" diameter disk; 4WD is 8-7/8" diameter disk. Not a problem, just switch flywheels and clutch as needed. Carb and vacuum lines might need some finagling, but it's not a major difference.

well i have flywheel/cluch, starter. see my dad has a hatch that is 3at frontwheel drive. i think its pre 85. my hatch is 4mt d/r. since the motor in my hatch craped out i was thinkg about swapping motors since my dad said i could have it(there may be parts for sale in a little while). i would really like to be able to put my AA lift to use.

I always thought the HBs had the EA71 1600cc engine thru 1989, although I could be wrong. I do know the EA81 had one cut corner on each rocker cover while the 1600 didn't. I had a 1985 HB with a 1600/4sp, but they also came as GLs with a 5-speed or maybe even an auto. I was pretty sure they were all 1600s though.

EA81s (i.e. 1.8 L) from 1981 on in the hatches and brats. The wagons and sedans switched to EA82 motors in 1985. The cut corner on the valve cover of an EA81 indicates a hydraulic lifter engine; rectangular cover indicates solid lifters. You can tell whether EA71 or EA81 by checking the casting near the front, top, center of the motor.