Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydro or Solid??? Way to find out on EA-81?

There's a bit of unwanted engine noise..... it's quite annoying. The motor is supposed to be from an 83 with an automatic which means it SHOULD be a hydro motor BUT the "do not adjust valves" stickers arent there on the valvecovers. I don't know why any previous mechanic would peel them off...

I want to adjust my valves one way or another, just don't want to do them incorrectly. Anyone have an easy (outside or valve-cover removal) way of telling???? I've got a few hours to kill before work so you skimmers reply!!

thanks

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Well - the extra bolts are a way to tell what heads you have (large intake or small intake), but doesn't tell about the lifters. 83/84 solid lifter engines have the large valve heads too.

Mick - you are right, but the gasket sets come with the lock washers, so someone could have added them. Best way to tell is to remove the valve cover, and look at the pushrod itself. The solid lifter rod is aluminium with a steel tip on the end, while the hydro lifter is a solid steel rod with no special tip. You will see the that the last 1/2" of the rod has a bigger diameter tip if the engine is solid lifter.

Perhaps someone changed the valve covers, but likely it's a solid lifter engine. Good to check tho as the adjustment procedure is indeed different.

GD