Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, 1997 Subaru Outback Limited...............on the way home from work i noticed the speedometer AND cruise control not working. A few miles later the check engine light came on and my subie's idle went really low when stopped at a traffic light. Then when mostly home noticed the engine."Acting" like it would when you hit the redline but only at about 4,500 rpm........seriously I love subarus, have owned them for a long time but i am positively clueless as to what's wrong with my baby! help me please!? I have had no previous problems for at least a few months, thanks-David

if the CE light is on, have it checked and post what the code is. advanced auto parts, autozone, etc can read the codes for free. or dealers/mechanics do it for a charge $40-$80. give us the code and code description the decoder thing spits out.

and also, mileage, ever had a tune up? recently in the shop?

recently in the shop yes, I had the heads and all that stuff done while the engine was out....timing belt, water pump, plugs, etc. etc.

My mechanic doesn't charge either, but I haven't been able to get to him to plug the car in and read the codes..........any ideas off hand?

if the CE light is on, have it checked and post what the code is. advanced auto parts, autozone, etc can read the codes for free. or dealers/mechanics do it for a charge $40-$80. give us the code and code description the decoder thing spits out.

and also, mileage, ever had a tune up? recently in the shop?

I had the same problem on my Trooper when I snapped my speedometer cable. I don't know if the 97 Subaru even still uses a cable (or if it's electronic) but it's a good place to start looking. On the Trooper I unscrewed the cable on the trans end and the end of the cable just slid out of the sleeve.

:clap: I have the answer to your question!!!:clap:

It is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It attaches to the transmission on my manual transmission vehicle. When mine failed, the symptoms were exactly the same as yours. I had it fixed at the dealer. The part was about 65 dollars, if I remember correctly. The labor was about a hundred dollars.

If I had the wisdom and mechanical know-how then that I do now, I would have replaced it myself. It is a simple swap.

The speedo, odo, and cruise control will not work, and the rev limiter will kick in about 1500 rpm too early.

Matt D

Sounds like you have the answer in the previous post. Considering the work you had done recently, you might find that the vehicle speed sensor is unplugged or not properly secured. Considering your location in Vancouver, you ought to consider SIR (richierich) in Portland. I'd trust his shop over any dealer anytime.

Agree on the speed sensor. Happened to my 97 a couple months ago. If you have a thin 17mm open end wrench and can remove the air box plumbing to the throttle body, then you can unscrew the speed sensor and put the new one in. Takes about 10 minutes, if you are talking to somebody while you're doing it!

Anyway, for my 97 Legacy Outback wagon with the 2.5 and a 5 speed manual transmission required this one.

IMG_0538.jpg

Thanks buddy! I got ahold of my mechanic later yesterday and he said the exact same thing, swapped it out in 30 mins, total cost 162 bucks..........thanks for your help guys

:clap: I have the answer to your question!!!:clap:

It is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It attaches to the transmission on my manual transmission vehicle. When mine failed, the symptoms were exactly the same as yours. I had it fixed at the dealer. The part was about 65 dollars, if I remember correctly. The labor was about a hundred dollars.

If I had the wisdom and mechanical know-how then that I do now, I would have replaced it myself. It is a simple swap.

The speedo, odo, and cruise control will not work, and the rev limiter will kick in about 1500 rpm too early.

Matt D

Is he the one in Tigard off of Hall BLVD? If it is, thats who I go to! Subaru Pro Autotech

Sounds like you have the answer in the previous post. Considering the work you had done recently, you might find that the vehicle speed sensor is unplugged or not properly secured. Considering your location in Vancouver, you ought to consider SIR (richierich) in Portland. I'd trust his shop over any dealer anytime.