Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Rosey is Knocking

Its me and Rosey the Rivitter again. I think I may need a second opinion on my suby Rosey. The lady I got her from said she didnt want the suby anymore because while she was driving down the freeway it started knocking. She said I could have it for free so I started it up and it was a very loud knocking somewhere in the engine. After letting her warm up the sound got really quite but when driving the sound gets louder when accelurated other then that she handels well. I dont think the lady changed or filled the oil which could possibly be a new motor if she fried it. When I took the suby over to my uncles/michanic and I checked the oil it had about a quart of oil in it, I put the half a quart of oil I had in the truck into her ran it and of course it still was not even close to being full. I have heard that my problem is a rod, I just need to change my oil and filter, a new motor, an arm, a loose piston in the arm, and somthing caught or loose in the motor and thats whats causing the knocking. I am michanically inclined I do alot of my stuff by myself by getting direction from a michanic or books or someone who has knowledge to guid me. I took auto for a long time so Im not complete auto retarded but I am no michanic so I dont know what the problem is and sadly I just dont know what to do. Does anyone have any Ideas of what Roseys problem may be I think I need a second opinion. I mean common if its a new motor that I need that wouldnt my Rosey have to be in remmision cuz she drives fine which makes me want another opinion. I have a cell phone and if anyone needs more information on the sound I can record the noise send it to my email and send it to whomever thinks that listening to the noise will help them be able to help me. Thank you again you people are great I love this group. :headbang:

So there is no for sure way to know huh? My best bet is to get a new motor or a suby for parts and just replace everything?

Can you be more specfic about how the knock sounds? Is it a dull knocking, a sharp knocking etc.?

Rosey, I think everyone here is scratching their collective heads trying to figure out the sound because Subaru lower end failure is so vanishing small. Stories are legion by those who bought a really cheapo 'Roo with a 'rod knocking', and got it home for a fifty dollar two hour fix.

Find someon (or let them find you) who knows old 'Roos before you go buy another engine. You too may be pleasently surprised.

I think I might have a trade on a suby motor by someone who bought one with a lost title and its no good to them. Only thing wrong is a blown head gasket...no biggie easy fix so Im excited about that....The sound in my little rosey now sounds alot like a muffler or a bent fan it almost sounds like a plastic fan hitting somthing hard or vice verca. Its a real dull sound but it deffinetly somewhere in the motor has nothing to do witht he muffler although I do ned a new one because thats falling apart haha but oh well thats the least of my worries. Thanks everyone again you guys kick rump roast I really love this group so once I start working on Rosey this weekend then Ill deffinetly keep you guys updated.

Knocking under accleration could be a rod - my wagon did the same for a couple thousand miles before it tossed the offending bit out the top of the block.

With the engine off, rock the crank pulley back and forth a bit and see if you can feel the rod bearing "tapping" as you do it. If you feel nothing, your knock could be a main bearing. Incidentally I have a slight knock on my Brat (same engine as yours) that I am nearly certain is a main bearing. Been that way since I got it 40,000 miles ago. Main bearings - even sloppy ones - if properly lubricated (I changed the oil pump) can last quite some time. Mine however, does NOT knock under acceleration, only around idle, and then it's gone once your start to drive. You can definately feel the knock tho - both on the engine, and even in the shifter.

GD