Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intermittent wipers?

Both of my '88 GL-10's have variable intermittent wipers. I don't know what would be involved with swapping it in, but I'm sure it's possible.

I think in 1990 they decontented the cars and went to regular wipers. I would like to have variable, but would be fine with fixed delay interval. I just hate having no intermittent feature at all.

There are universal intermittent-wiper kits that even have variable timing you can dial in. I added this once to my Ford F-100.

Thanks, I did see this on sites such as the infamous JC Whitney. I wanted to keep the stock look, if possible, but may have to resort to this.

Matt

Thanks, I did see this on sites such as the infamous JC Whitney. I wanted to keep the stock look, if possible, but may have to resort to this.

Matt

We were talking in my other post. The '92 does have the interminttent wipers. Do you show the positions, or have 4 stops, (off,int,low,hi) on your switch? If so, maybe you them, but have a motor or switch problem.

Jon

Yeh I found an int wiper switch in parts pile rang up a subi wrecker got an intermitent wiper module (fixed delay). The switch plugs into the same conectors as the other switch and you need to find a plug under your dash that has 6 wires going to it with a plug into it that has one wire jumpered from one wire to another. Take out this plug an put your module in instead. Btw this was in a Brumby so I dont know if l series are different.

We were talking in my other post. The '92 does have the interminttent wipers. Do you show the positions, or have 4 stops, (off,int,low,hi) on your switch? If so, maybe you them, but have a motor or switch problem.

Jon

Mine has only two positions, low and high. No int setting at all. Well, 3, off, I guess, but only 2 on positions.

If you have the int wiper relay and the stalk I might give it a shot.

Matt

I think installing the unit from JC Whitney will be easier for you to do. You can conceal the unit under the dash or mount the speed potentiometer behind a spare switch panel in the dash. This will give you the variable delay action you really want.

Looking at my service data it appears that you may be correct in stating there were no intermittent wipers available for that model year.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000159811/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000159811/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000159811

I think installing the unit from JC Whitney will be easier for you to do. You can conseal the unit under the dash or mount the speed potentiometer behind a spare switch panel in the dash. This will give you the variable delay action you really want.

Looking at my service data it appears that you may be correct in stating there were no intermittent wipers available for that model year.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000159811/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000159811/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000159811

Hmm...I like your idea of mounting it somewhere and using a spare blank panel. Great idea. I'll see if there is space up in there, and could just have the knob showing on the dash. Excellent. I feel stupid for not thinking of this. Thanks, though. :clap: