Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTK: Cheapest place to buy Cats for 2000 OB???

Food for thought..............I have gotten alot of feedback about aftermarket cats not fixing the P0420 code on these cars. They will clean up the exhaust but will not always make the computer happy and you will still have the check engine light.

Just somthing to think about.

Here's a tip to pass the PA emission inspection without replacing the cat. That is if you can live with the CEL light on. I've been doing this for a couple of years.

Clear the code and drive the car for a couple of days without taking it out on the highway, or doing highway speeds.

All the readiness montitors will reset, except the catalylist efficiency montior. The PA emission inspection law allows for two readiness monitiors not to be set. In this case you won't have the catalyst efficiency monitior set, but that's ok because it's only one of the montiors that is not set.

Now your CEL will probably come back on as soon as you take it out the the highway, but you've already passed the test.

Prior to cat replacement, try a new rear oxygen sensor. It worked for me. Personally I don't believe all these year 2000 cat convertors are crapping out, I think the monitoring system is too sensitive.

Please let us know what you do with this...

Prior to cat replacement, try a new rear oxygen sensor. It worked for me. Personally I don't believe all these year 2000 cat convertors are crapping out, I think the monitoring system is too sensitive.

Please let us know what you do with this...

Another 2000 OBW owner here with the P0420 code. I replaced both sensors at 95,000. The CEL came back on after 115,000. I now have 145,000 on the car and no problems. My CEL comes and goes rather frequently. Meaning it comes and goes with each tank of gas. Luckily we don't have inspections around here anymore. I have to agree that the computer system must be sensitive.

The computer is OK, the problem is that the sulfur in gas, phosphorus and metals in oil (if you burn oil), and crap in some injector cleaners kill cats.

This is why we have low sulfur fuel since 2004 and lower additives in oil since 2005.

All right, if that's the case, how come all cars don't exhibit this behavior?

The fix of second-to-last resort (right before a new $900 cat): search for "mil eliminator". It's just voltage.

Mnay brands of car do have this behavior. My daily driver is a BMW so I always check the BMW boards. Before that I had a Mercedes. Cat problems, PO420, and changing the front ox sensor seems pretty common on a car over 100,000 miles, and many cars don't make that.