Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What make & model tires do you have on your suby?

I always use bridgestone/firestone mid level performance tires on all my vehicles. I have a great local dealer and they seem to work good in all conditions and have a wear out guarantee as well. I got almost 60,000 on the factory michelin tires on 99 OBW and he said his Subaru customers were not seeing that kind of wear on his tires, but not to worry, when they wore out prematurely, I could just come in for another pro-rated set. I decided to go with Michelins again, just on the Subaru, and got a set of the Hydroedge tires and they are wonderful for everything, and while expensive at $120 a tire, they make up for it by lasting twice as long in theory at least. They were 80,000 miles when I bought them, now rated at 90,000 miles. I actually paid $95 a tire, by waiting for a sale at sears.

On my 97 I had Michelin Hydroedge, which still had substantial tread left after 45,000 miles when I sold it to my sister-in-law, who has gone another 10K or so.

Plain ole Michelin X work very well on Subarus also - sold by chain stores like Costco, Sam's Club etc. The Goodyear Triple Treads seem to be a popular replacement, although a test on CR indicated the weren't very good in snow and ice compared to some other A/S.

My 06 came with the often maligned Bridgestone RE92A. I took them off at 587 miles and will be selling them on eBay next week with a reserve price of $25 per tire. Tire Rack asks $127 per tire, so that should give you some indication of what I think of them in my limited exposure. I'm down to Goodyear Eagle F1 D3 or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for replacements.

For dedicated winter tires I have Nokian RSI's.

'99 Legacy Brighton wagon, no ABS. Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads. I bought them last Fall when I couldn't get the Hakkas I wanted. They're the best all-weather tires I've experienced in snow and ice. There's apparently lava pumice in the rubber, so the grip and wear are excellent.

95 Legacy: Bridgestone Blizzaks WS50's. Awesome in ice and snow and beach sand.

02 WRX: Dunlop SP Sport 5000 All season. Summer car only. Despite the all-season rating, they are worthless in the snow and ice.

Note: If you swap out Winter and Summer tires on the same car, invest in another set of rims (www.tirerack.com). You'll ruin your tires if you don't and end up with leaky tires. I learned the hard way...

'05 Baja - stock Potenza tires... what kind of name is that anyway? Sounds like an exotic pasta dish or a male enhancement product. P-O-T-E-N-Z-A... 19.95 + sh. Call now and get a set free! Just pay shipping and handling!

These Potenza tires grip the road so poorly that they make my ABS brakes spazz out even in rain and that freaks me out.

I want/NEED to replace them. Went to NTB and they said there wasn't enough clearance for meatier tires?

Any thoughts?

If anyone is interested, I have a set of 4 Winterforce P205/70R15 snows that I bought halfway through last winter. I put them on my 1996 Villager to deliver newspapers in a blizzard. They are one size too small for my van, but I needed something in a hurry since my tires were worn out. I have since put 4 all-season tires on it and I no longer deliver newspapers, so the van doesn't get out much in the snow anymore (it handles well in the snow anyway). They are the right size for older Outbacks and Foresters with 15" wheels. I'm in eastern CT.