Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Optimum Tire Pressure '95 Legacy

Another newbie question: On the '95 Legacy wagon which I just purchased, the tires were underinflated. I checked the sticker on the door jamb which recommended 32(f)/30® for my 195/60-15s. This seems a bit low to me. I'm ignorant about the culture of corporate Subaru; is this really what's supposed to be in here for optimum handling, or is it purposely soft so the typical American driver won't feel every crack in the road? Any harm in pushing the pressures up 2 psi apiece? How about 4 psi? Rob Kuhlman

the tire pressure thingy on the door jamb is crap, dont rely on it for anything.

Agreed

the tires should have a max tire pressure (when cold, meaning not driven on yet) inflate to that pressure, a lot of tires have different pressure levels.

Disagree. If you inflate to max pressure when tire is cold, it will warm up when you drive, thus increase the pressure beyond maximum and a tire might blow up.

Max pressure when cold will make the tire pop? What?

First of all, it's okay to put the pressure up a little. I am happy with 4 psi more than stated on the door but never over the max stated pressure of the tire. There are a lot of opinions on tire pressure. My previous Volvos had 2 pressures on the fuel door, one soft ride at about 29 PSI and one economy at 36 PSI. I liked economy the best for handling and fuel economy. If you like the soft ride, stick with the door jamb pressure. If you want more, incrementally raise the pressure in all your tires until you're satisfied with the ride and handling. If you go too far, you may lose traction in the wet.

Second, you can put the pressure up to max pressure when cold...then drive all day long. You're tire won't blow up. That's why it states "max pressure cold" on the sidewall. This is calculated by the tire manufacturer with allowance for the air pressure to increase when hot.

This is a problem with jiffy lubes and such. The go by the auto mfg for the OE set of tires when they service a car. if a car is over 4 years old odds are they dont have the original tires on them. Every year as tire technology gets better, it seems tire pressures change. Many times iive driven out of a jiffy with 4 flat tires, to go back and tell them to read the tire not the door jamb.

Always go by the tire

nipper

Second, you can put the pressure up to max pressure when cold...then drive all day long. You're tire won't blow up. That's why it states "max pressure cold" on the sidewall. This is calculated by the tire manufacturer with allowance for the air pressure to increase when hot.

I guess my experience of driving in europe does not apply here, cause speeds at which max cold pressure might screw you up will get you license revoked.

But in europe its true, here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72&currentpage=8

Another thing against max cold pressure - when you inflate it too max in winter and then in becomes 40 degrees warmer - your cold pressure goes up past max, and that's a bad idea.

I usually go with 34-36psi and I check/adjust my pressure regularly.

I have 140K miles on a 95 Legacy L and found 34-35lbs front and 32-33 lbs back COLD PRESSURE gave me the most even tread wear on the stock size tires and not too hard a ride. Just remember to regularly check the pressures so you have normal tread wear and keep the AWD happy.

I have 140K miles on a 95 Legacy L and found 34-35lbs front and 32-33 lbs back COLD PRESSURE gave me the most even tread wear on the stock size tires and not too hard a ride. Just remember to regularly check the pressures so you have normal tread wear and keep the AWD happy.
This seems about right. I've also found that 2-3 PSI above spec keeps things happy, with wear across the tread fairly even. Choose a reasonable pressure, rotate tires, and check that neither center nor edges of tread are wearing faster than the other; adjust pressure slightly if necessary.

However, some of you other folks are scaring me :eek: . A few years ago max inflation pressure for typical passenger tires was around 35 PSI. Then it became 44, and more recently 51 PSI. I can tell you with assurance that inflating a 195/60-15 tire mounted on a Legacy to 51 or even "just" 44 PSI will not likely result in a satisfactory ride, handling experience, or tire life. In fact, hitting a pothole (or something similar) with a tire inflated to 51 PSI is much more likely to damage it than one more reasonably inflated. In fact, besides the bone-jarring ride, your car's suspension will also take more of a beating.

Of course, if the goal is great MPG or a new speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats ... :D

I agree with OB99W, a couple of years ago I put WRX wheels on the Legacy and asked around about a good tire pressure. I wanted to run them a little higher than stock, and a lot of responses were to inflate to maximum pressure stated on the sidewall. I can't belive that there are that many drivers running that kind of pressure without failures. A blowout at any speed could be a disaster, but at higher presure the odds are increased for failure dramaticaly. There must be a write up somewhere on the internet about the danger of this.

:eek:

I keep my 95 Legacy Wagon's tires inflated to 32psi and check them religiously in the winter. In extreme cold your tires will likely leak a bit of air (especially if the tires and rims are older and have had some tire changes) so the concern about max pressure when it's cold is a bunch of huey. Besides, as mentioned above, there are tolerances built in to these max pressures to accomodate normal operating range extremes.

Note: Stay away from the Victor Products tire valve cap pressure indicators. 1) They've been recalled 2) They have a nasty habit of unscrewing your entire valve stem cap when the clowns at Jiffy Lube check the air in your tires (flat tires that even fix-a-flat can't fix). It's really too bad because they really worked like a charm. No second guessing tire pressure. You could see if your tires were up to snuff with just a look. I'm waiting for a better product.

2) They have a nasty habit of unscrewing your entire valve stem cap when the clowns at Jiffy Lube check the air in your tires (flat tires that even fix-a-flat can't fix).

Do they do it on their own as well or just at jiffy lube? I don't go there, am I in the clear other than recall?

It's only a matter of time before the plastic top of the Victor products cap degrades and pops off. If you have an older tire that needs filling, it's only a matter of time before the torque of replacing the cap will twist the stem out. You have to really screw the cap in because the cap is actually releasing air pressure to work the indicator.

Get rid of it or keep a full spare handy...