Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's a true boxer. Piston pairs opposing eachother.

Lesser brands, like Ferrari :rolleyes: , have V engines with 180 degrees in the V. The BB512 engine is NOT a boxer. It may be a flat-12, but the balance isn't right. And what's it doing on top of the gearbox???

Lesser brands, like Ferrari :rolleyes: , have V engines with 180 degrees in the V. The BB512 engine is NOT a boxer. It may be a flat-12, but the balance isn't right. And what's it doing on top of the gearbox???

Ummmm, wouldn't 180 degrees be flat?

Ummmm, wouldn't 180 degrees be flat?

yes but the crankshaft is different. With a boxer the opposing pistons move in or out together. With a 180 degree vee the opposing pistons share the same throw of the crank so they move left or right together.

Neat boxer gif:

engineflat46az.gif

Oh haha you just posted that

V

You guys have great information. Thanks. :clap:

So with a boxer the engine as a whole has 1/2 as many power strokes as it has cylinders, although each stroke's force is doubled because two are fireing at the same time accounting for the unique sound???

at least thats how it seems in my brain, which has lied to me before. :drunk:

Which models come with the 6cyl and has anyone stuffed one into a smaller model? like a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport he he he?

Six cylinder Subaru's:

1988-1991 Subaru XT6 145 hp

1992-1997 Subaru SVX 230 hp

Not sure which models come with the newer 6 cylinder engines.

Haven't heard of anyone swapping in the newer 6 cylinder motors. The SVX and XT6 engines have been put in various other things...though most of the examples i can think of are non-subaru. but some have the XT6 engine in their 4 cylinder subaru's.

you can swap anything you want, depends on time and money and how good you are. if the newer gen's are like the old, then it's probably not a ton of custom work to swap in a 6 cylinder. probably bolts right up to 4 cyilnder transmissions. probably easier and much cheaper to turbo an existing 4 for more power though.

Yah Gary, youre probably right. Have you ever turboed an NA engine?

it would probably actually be easiest to just find a 2.2T from near the same year and swap that in whole, but i will find it difficult to take out a perfectly good engine that I KNOW has been taken care of, and put in another used one with an unknown history just for a little more power.

They do something similar with their V-8's by using a flat crank (180*) instead of the usual 90* quarter-throw. IMO the largest benefit for Ferrari is the characteristic "wail" distinctly different from muscle-car tone.

Which models come with the 6cyl and has anyone stuffed one into a smaller model? like a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport he he he?

The 6 cylinders are relatively rare in the US. Tuning parts aren't readily available, and it is relatively highly tuned to begin with. The new H6 with variable valve timing and 250hp would be nearly impossible to find.

Given that turbocharged Imprezas are readily available from the factory, and can be built to over 300 reliable horsepower, you'd be throwing thousands of dollars away. If you want a sleeper it's easy to lose the hood scoop and wing, if equipped.

The flat crank V-8 offers some lesser benefit by way of being able to cross-couple the induction/exhaust pulses differently. I'm not sure if it's necessarily better or just more adapable to a certain rpm range. There's not a whole lot of public domain info on the subject.

**** I*****!

The flat crank V-8 offers some lesser benefit by way of being able to cross-couple the induction/exhaust pulses differently. I'm not sure if it's necessarily better or just more adapable to a certain rpm range. There's not a whole lot of public domain info on the subject.

**** I*****!

I think you're right - at least some of the stuff I've read about the H6 indicates some 'charging' effect in the runners from valves closing elsewhere on the heads. I dunno.

Also, over at nasioc I believe, someone HAS stuffed an H6 in an impreza chassis - and I think they twin turboed it too! That must sound wild!