Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a 2wd Loyale be lifted?

But....why? (no offense intended, just wondering.)

For instance, my in-laws live in farm country, Kansas, on rock roads. Sometimes extra ground clearance would be nice. It is not a matter of traction, a matter of not knocking your oil pan out. Rock roads with high crowns in center, etc. An extra inch or two would not hurt to have.

im in the iddle of a 2wdstickto4wd5spd conversion rught now.

did the sae for soeone elses car.

converted a few fwd autos to 4wd stick as well

this essage board is where you'll find it, search for "4wd conversion"

im in the iddle of a 2wdstickto4wd5spd conversion rught now.

did the sae for soeone elses car.

converted a few fwd autos to 4wd stick as well

this essage board is where you'll find it, search for "4wd conversion"

Me thinks your M key died after "im"

To answer your question, yes it can be done, I did it not to long ago,

92 fwd loyale wagon lifted it and put 4wd under it, the lift works fine. you have to cut the fenders a little more then normal if you want 27inch tires though. the 2wd struts are shorter and are not as beefy, I broke mine in an off road excursion. :grin:

Remember the lift is a body lift you gain no ground clearance without larger tires just letting you know. Just lift it people will just look and be like :confused: and :lol:

For instance, my in-laws live in farm country, Kansas, on rock roads. Sometimes extra ground clearance would be nice. It is not a matter of traction, a matter of not knocking your oil pan out. Rock roads with high crowns in center, etc. An extra inch or two would not hurt to have.

I'll tell ya what mate. You can just throw some 25" tyres on there. Stock is normally about 22.5" and you shouldn't need to lift or and fender modding with 25" tyres. That will give you an extra 1.25"s clearence. Remember, a lift kit only lifts the body. Your engine and rear diff stay at the same clearence height. The only reason to lift is to be able to fit bigger tyres on. Unless you just want it for looks!

Something like 180/85R13's or 195/80R13's? I'm not sure they make them though. You could always look for some Pug wheels with some normal sized 14" tyres on them.

Just my 2 cents.

yes, it can be done. the car design is identical (except you don't need the center driveshaft bearing blocks)...

BUT, I'd say go get a skidplate off a late '80s 4WD GL, this will bolt right up, and protect your oil pan. and then cut/pound out your fenders to put slightly larger tires on it.

as said before, the lift actually makes your oil pan MORE vulnerable, as it's dropped ~3" by comparison to the rest of the body. Check out this pic of my wagon shortly after the lift:

3242PICT04861.JPG

see how bad the oil pan sticks out?

Something like 180/85R13's or 195/80R13's? I'm not sure they make them though. You could always look for some Pug wheels with some normal sized 14" tyres on them.

The tallest 13" tire you can get is a185/80R13 M&S snow tire they are 24.75" tall thats what i'm running on my 84' wagon on the white spoke wagon wheels.

If you find the 4wd struts that are adjustable you will get another inch of lift out of your suspension.

Interesting conversation. My 2wd is exactly the same in the front as my old 4wd. Would 4wd struts mount right in the back of a 2wd, as this thing is quite a droopy sagger (wheels are in the wheel wells on 185/75/13 studded snow tires). Handling is like on rails like this, but seems a bit odd to look at. Also keeps my leaky cam seals from leaking:grin: