Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ever fix a leaky vacuum advance "pneumatic actuator"?

Think I figured out why my '86 has such poor acceleration, the vacuum advance pneumatic actuator won't hold a vacuum. Can't find one today, guess I'll try to hit PAP tomorrow, sort of a long drive from Bellingham if they don't have one.

Monte

I think there a company that can replace the diaphram for you. But i recon just goto a j/y and pull one that can still hold a vacuum.

I'll try a j/y tomorrow. I was hoping for a "quick fix". Now that I know what the problem is I want to fix it, I need to drive the car a couple hundred miles each the next couple nights.

I'll try the dealer as a last resort, if they can even get a dashpot for it.

Thanks,

Monte

Where can these be rebuilt? If one of you guys has a company name that would help. I did a quick google and didn't find it.

I'm going to try the j/y. But if that doesn't work I'm afraid the dealership won't be very inexpensive.

Monte

Where can these be rebuilt? If one of you guys has a company name that would help. I did a quick google and didn't find it.

I'm going to try the j/y. But if that doesn't work I'm afraid the dealership won't be very inexpensive.

Monte

http://www.philbingroup.com/

They are local to me, and I can vouch for their work. Excelent quality. All the rebuilders in Portland send their work there.

GD

Go with Philbin and save yourself the trip to PAP. I check every Hitachi distributor for a vacuum advance unit that works; I've found one in four years of looking. There are a fair number of EA81 and EA82 cars at Lynnwood currently...maybe 8 or 9. I can tell you that at least three of them are missing the distributor completely; the rest I didn't even bother to check the advance unit since they looked pretty shabby. Hard to find a good diaphragm on a 20 year old car.

Go with Philbin and save yourself the trip to PAP. I check every Hitachi distributor for a vacuum advance unit that works; I've found one in four years of looking. There are a fair number of EA81 and EA82 cars at Lynnwood currently...maybe 8 or 9. I can tell you that at least three of them are missing the distributor completely; the rest I didn't even bother to check the advance unit since they looked pretty shabby. Hard to find a good diaphragm on a 20 year old car.

I wanted to check out PAP so I went down today, nothing worth looking at. I only found one distributor with a vacuum advance, but it was not the right one, been pretty well picked over, oh well.

Aaron's or Philbin's it is.

Monte