Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GurgleBurbleGurgle....Interpret? How to get engine running again?

So I put the engine on my 91 Loyale (EA82) back together yesterday and today, and when I got to starting it, when it turns it sounds like it is gargling, "bloop bloop bloop", or trying to run under water...I guess something is forcing big bunches of air through either water or oil (sounds more like water). I think I got the distributor and the timing figured out right, but don't want to keep cranking if something is wrong ... What could this be? Sound familiar to anyone?

What I did: I replaced the drivers' side head gasket, seals in the front (cams and crank and oil pump), and timing belts. Changed oil in the process and filled in 4 quarts, and added water and radiator flush to the motor and radiator.

I read somewhere about filling the engine with water before filling the radiator, so I did that, thinking that would take care of any air bubbles. I suppose not - what is the best strategy to get that air out of there?

There's only uncombusted gasoline coming out of the exhaust chambers of the heads (no water or oil) after cranking, so I don't think any system's continuity has been broken.

:confused:

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I can offer this:

We used to say my ol' '85 sounded like it was running under water, I had the idle set super low, and the y-pipe was coming off the head on one side. so the backpressure would cause that sort of sound.....probably completely unrelated, but it immediately reminded me of my old wagon, so I thought I'd throw it out there

on another note, how long did you try cranking it? Did it sound like it was trying to start?

I should have mentioned that I didn't put the y-pipe on yet, so maybe the backpressure explains the sound? I just assumed that, like tractors, you can run the things without an exhaust on them. I'll put it on and see if that makes a difference, and it looks like there's more room for fluid in the radiator so I'll add more there.

Didn't try cranking it for too long (probably 5 or 6 times for 20-30 secs each time, once I got the distributor in right - I had it firing on the exhaust stroke the first time around), it ignited very briefly a couple of times but didn't catch.

I ran mine for a bit without the Y-pipe on it when working on some stuff, and the exhaust sounded exactly like that - "bloop blub bloop" etc. I'm not sure why it happens, but that may very well just be the exhaust sound.

-=Russ=-