Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK,

I noticed this a year ago while the car was still under warranty. Presumably fixed by the dealer. Now, while working on my TPS problems I noticed there is a very bad tensioner noise. Sounds like piston slap but it is not because persists with hot engine and comes from the belt cover area (confirmed by stethoscope).

Now, the car is outside warranty but I want to confront the dealer and ask for a definitive repair since I reported the issue before the waranty expired.

Does anyone know the TSB re: tensioner noise aplicable to 2000 legacy?

Www.infotraxx.com lists this TSB (02-93-04) as applicable:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4813

but is is technically for 04-05 subarus only. I want to find the correct TSB so it would be done by the book (can't trust my dealer).

Also, should I worry about the belt braking soon with this noise? The car has only 60000 miles.

OK,

I noticed this a year ago while the car was still under warranty. Presumably fixed by the dealer. Now, while working on my TPS problems I noticed there is a very bad tensioner noise. Sounds like piston slap but it is not because persists with hot engine and comes from the belt cover area (confirmed by stethoscope).

Now, the car is outside warranty but I want to confront the dealer and ask for a definitive repair since I reported the issue before the waranty expired.

Does anyone know the TSB re: tensioner noise aplicable to 2000 legacy?

Www.infotraxx.com lists this TSB (02-93-04) as applicable:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4813

but is is technically for 04-05 subarus only. I want to find the correct TSB so it would be done by the book (can't trust my dealer).

Also, should I worry about the belt braking soon with this noise? The car has only 60000 miles.

if the tensioner seizes it will break the belt. If it looses tesntion or gets alot of play in it the belt can jump.

nipper

if the tensioner seizes it will break the belt. If it looses tesntion or gets alot of play in it the belt can jump.

nipper

The tensioner will NOT seize with this problem. The hydraulic cylinder in the tensioner is either worn out, or has leaked out all of its oil, so it's not exterting enough force to keep the tensioner pulley taught against the timing belt. The result is a slapping noise that is pretty comical/horrifying to watch when you take the timing cover off and run the engine. The tensioner really bounces up and down like mad.

The part itself should theoretically have at least a one-year warranty on it, and since you've already had them do it once under warranty you may be able to pressure/guilt them into doing it again. As cool as the new-style tensioner is in concept, it just doesn't work as well as the old-style horizontal-pressing cylinder right now.

The keeper above my crank sprocket is spec'd at .020"-.040", it seems like that'd help keep the belt from jumping. I made the belt jump there when I torqued the cam pulley bolt, but finger-tip pressure kept it from jumping next try.

The keeper above my crank sprocket is spec'd at .020"-.040", it seems like that'd help keep the belt from jumping. I made the belt jump there when I torqued the cam pulley bolt, but finger-tip pressure kept it from jumping next try.

When I bought my 98 legacy/2.2, the tensioner had already been shot for who knows how long, and I ran it for several days after I bought it. The timing was perfect when I changed the belt and the tensioner.

As the car warms up, the noise may get quieter or stop, because the engine's heat really helps whatever hydraulic fluid is left in the tensioner exert the proper pressure.

Subaru.com list both the 96/97 2.5L at 60k. Not until 98 does the 2.5L go to 105K.

Endwrench on page 2 says all 2.5L can go to 105K

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf

Conflicting Information even from Subaru sources. I would suggest using the Owners Manual. I know the 96 2.5L is different from the 97 and the 97 looks the same as the 98-99. I would say the Alldata would be correct, but the Subaru sites do differ.

the original belts were 60,000 mile change interval. if you buy a newer belt it has a different part number, like the last letter or something, very close, but it's an "updated" version, and has a change interval of 105,000. there is debate over whether the belt is really any different or they just used the same california specification belt across all models....that is unknown but it is true that there are two part numbers and two different change intervals. a good parts guy can look up both part numbers if you're interested. be sure you're getting a newer version belt and not "new old stock" which could be the older 60,000 mile belt.

All 2.5 DOHC engines from 1995 (MY96) to 5/1999 (MY99) take PN 13028AA072. All 105k replacement interval.

There are 3 different PN for the 2.2L. The Cal. spec. belt PN 13028AA150 for 1995-5/98 is a 105k belt, and the price reflects this. PN 13028AA181 is the 105k belt for 5/98-6/98, and the price reflects the 105k replacement interval. Then the old PN 13028AA102 60k belt for all 90-94's and 1995-5/98 Fedral emission and Canada cars.

• 2 months later...
OK,

It is not standard practise for Subaru to replace then tensioner when they replace the Timing Belt. The timing belt in my MY99 was replaced at scheduled interval (105,000 Klm). When I received the car back, it began to flash the Check Engine light on randomly. When light was on, car lost almost all power, no fault codes were ever recorded (So Subaru Australia continually advised me). (After Six months of persistence with Subaru Australia, they finally concluded that the tensioner needed to be replaced, which was not usually replaced unless required when timing belt is replaced) A quick phone around Dealers accross Australia kinda confirmed this. There were no Tensioners for my model in Australia, one had to be brought in from Japan to fix my car.