Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea motor swap??

Crawlerdan

i have a 87 gl wagon, with a carbed ea82, and have access to a 88 gl wagon with a spfi ea82, question is, how hard is the swap? i want to convert mine to fuel injection, as well as do an overbore and cams to it.

what kind of benifits am i looking at and how hard is the overall swap?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php

i have a 87 gl wagon, with a carbed ea82, and have access to a 88 gl wagon with a spfi ea82, question is, how hard is the swap? i want to convert mine to fuel injection, as well as do an overbore and cams to it.

what kind of benifits am i looking at and how hard is the overall swap?

edit. i don't mean to be rude by throwing the search link at you, but there are 5 other "how do i start" type posts on this first page of retrofitting, and there is lots available to be found. good luck :)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php

edit. i don't mean to be rude by throwing the search link at you, but there are 5 other "how do i start" type posts on this first page of retrofitting, and there is lots available to be found. good luck :)

ok, well my computer pooped all over the manual while downloading...so can any one that has done this conversion just tell me how difficult this was, how long it took, and what all is involved? i have searched and havent been able to find a specific answer, remember i have the entire doner car

honestly, if your going from carb to SPFI, you might as well go to an EJ swap, its not much more wiring than the SPFI, and you get about 40 HP more than the SPFI swap. only difference between the two is mechanical. which is decently easy. a big plus is there are so many people doing this swpa now its easy to find an answer to ANY question you have or problem you run into. not to mention all the guess-work is already done for you, you only need to search and ask questions. if youre going to try to overbore and get better cams, have fun, but you might be very disappointed by the extreme lack of aftermarket support for these cars, its really quite pathetic.

~Josh~

I agree. Having owned carbed, SPFI, and turbo GLs, as well as a 2.2 Legacy, and having swapped Webers and SPFI onto EA82s, my next project is to put the EJ22 into my 86 wagon. It's not a lot more work, and there's no way you're going to get near as much power out of the EA82 without paying HUGE bucks to do it.

Having done both swaps myself (I'm the one that wrote the SPFI manual), I would say that they're both not very difficult. The EJ22 requires more mechanical adaptation, for the cooling system and drivetrain and stuff, but the end result is worlds better.

Everything included, I spent a total of three days converting my EA82 to SPFI, and probably 4 or 5 doing the EJ conversion, which included mounting the EJ transmission.

• 2 weeks later...
Having done both swaps myself (I'm the one that wrote the SPFI manual), I would say that they're both not very difficult. The EJ22 requires more mechanical adaptation, for the cooling system and drivetrain and stuff, but the end result is worlds better.

Everything included, I spent a total of three days converting my EA82 to SPFI, and probably 4 or 5 doing the EJ conversion, which included mounting the EJ transmission.

ok well iu picked up the spfi wagon, cause the price was right, its now for sale, runs and drives great, nice car..make me an offer