Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what else?? 1.8-2.2

dome24

Ive been reading a bunch on the 1.8 to 2.2 block swap, So i got a line on a 98 2.2 with 9k out of a AT on it for $400 thats missing one head, if i have to use the 1.8 heads anyways will it work in my 1.8MT? Ill need head gaskets, intake gaskets, timing belt, clutch, lightend crank pully,air box replacemnet, o2 sensors, plugs, wires...what else should i replace? Can i use the 2.2 exhasut y pipe/header?

Most of the 1.8 to 2.2 swap stuff here is EA82 to EJ22..

In which case you can't use heads and othe engine based parts.

It would probably be more helpful to people answering your questions is you gave more info about what you are doing (car, year, stuff like that)

the heads will work... BUT in doing so you'll be raising your compression to something like 10.5:1...

next on the list is they are EXTREMELY restrictive... the ej18 was designed with economy in mind so the in total you'll be raising you compression then getting way less air into the engine... making the hp gains near 0...

go with the ej22 heads... or if you're really inventive and want freakishly high compression port and polish the ej18 heads...:)

need to know car model and year and all that good stuff first, then we can help ya out.

~Josh~

Sorry im starting with a 97 Brighton Coupe mfg date 7/96, 1.8l 5spMT, i think its only ODB I but i thought after 96 all cars were supposed to be odb II

I was talking with rattyaustin and he said to use a pre 96 2.2 out of a legacy which i now have a line on but im getting more and more confused.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on using the EJ18 heads on the EJ22 motor. The consensus seems to be that while there's a potential gain by raising the CR, the gain is quickly lost by the lower flow efficiency of the EJ18 heads. The pre-96 EJ22 you mentioned is a good engine because it's a non-interference motor, which means the timing belt can break without breaking other stuff, like valves and pistons.

....The pre-96 EJ22 you mentioned is a good engine because it's a non-interference motor, which means the timing belt can break without breaking other stuff, like valves and pistons.

are the EJ22 after 96 set up so they will interfere??

Dual vs single port exhaust on the heads too.

400 bucks for an engine missing a head is a rape.

I've picked up whole running legacys for 75 bucks, beaten the tar out of them, and stipped them for parts.

Look for legacy's, the older ones, sitting in yards and collecting leaves. Offer the owner removal and 50bucks, and you will get a car that has all the engine bits, usually in good shape.

ok... heres the info to help stop confusion :D

EJ18= dual port exhaust, phase1

1990-1995 EJ22= dual port heads, phase 1, clearance valves= most compatible with Ej18 swap cause intake/exhaust, and most other parts will interchange

1996-97 EJ22 single port exhaust... (will need different exhaust for EJ18 swap)

1998-99 EJ22 = phase 2 (single port exhaust?) interference valves

so.....try to use the 90-95 engine.. they actually LOOK the same on the outside... cause they use all the same external parts (tbelt parts, valve covers, oil pan,ect...)

i am not 100% sure on the above data, but this is what I have seen so far when working with all these above engines :cool:

The engine I used was supposed to be from a '96 OBW. Dual port and all. I can't answer the question on the head. Use your intake and wiring. Swap over the injectors from the 2.2 into your intake manifold. Make sure to loosen the dog bone mount when you reinstalled the new engine. It will drop right in. If you have access to the 2.2 exhaust use it all. The mid and exhaust pipes are smaller diameter on the 1.8.

Good luck.