Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purchased a 98 Impreza for $1100

Well the wife and I left a deposit on a 98 Subaru Impreza L 4 door this evening, it has 160,000 miles on it and ran very nicely. The brakes didn't seem to do a great job on a panic stop going about 50 or so, I am thinking they need to be replaced, since this is only our second suby I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should look at and what should be replaced, figuring brakes, spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, set of tires<eventually>. If anything should be added to my little list please let me know. Thanks for all the helpful info found on this forum. Jay.

Well the wife and I left a deposit on a 98 Subaru Impreza L 4 door this evening, it has 160,000 miles on it and ran very nicely. The brakes didn't seem to do a great job on a panic stop going about 50 or so, I am thinking they need to be replaced, since this is only our second suby I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should look at and what should be replaced, figuring brakes, spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, set of tires<eventually>. If anything should be added to my little list please let me know. Thanks for all the helpful info found on this forum. Jay.

if its an auto tranny check the fluid. Take the car on a tight U turn and listen for anything odd (torque bind). If you buy it change the auto tranny fluid, if a manual change that oil too.

nipper

... The brakes didn't seem to do a great job on a panic stop going about 50 or so, I am thinking they need to be replaced...

Well, it might need brake pads. But if brakes still not very strong after that, it might need a brake bleeding. Air bubbles in the lines will do that. Also you could have a stuck caliper; if so, you'll find that when replacing brake pads.

Sheeesh, $1100!

if you don't know the last change, have the timing belt addressed as well as the timing belt pulleys and water pump. good to go for another 100,000 with those in place. cam seals and oil pump o-rings are advisable while yo'ure in there doing the belts. only a couple more dollars for the seals. previous owner might be able to tell you how recently the timing belt was changed? with that mileage it would be best to make sure the belt and pulleys are good since this is an interference motor. i got an outback last year with only 60,000 miles and change the belt immediately, though that had the possibility of the "older" belts with lesser mileage ratings.

96-99 2.5 liter motors have head gasket issues. keep your eye out for overheating. catch it early and new headgaskets will fix the problem for good, though set you back about $1000 unless you do the work yourself. see if it has heat, seems pulling the thermostat will hide the overheating but shows itself by not giving hot heat in the cabin.

Car has very good heat and the ac works well too, when I first bought it I had the ac on for about 20 mins and didn't realize it. Watched the gauge like a hawk, right about dead center even at 80-85 which I did for a nice little bit on 295. Needs tires, gets squirly on rare occasions upon start up from a dead stop, not sure if it's the bands shifting in the tires or an alignment problem, we will see. There is some type of leakage in the exhaust I seem to think it is about mid body, but will check into that in the morning. The car starts right up runs very well, with the exception of the above problems, oh I also think it needs brakes and maybe rotors, slight pulsing occasionally on the brakes, will take it to be ins pected on Wednesday. Will try and post some pics of the vehicle tomorrow, one last ?, so your saying this vehicle has the 2.5 motor, I thought it was the 2.2 ok , I may have bought the wrong air filter tonight have to see in the morning. Thanks for all the help.

Ok I have a problem I went to replace the air filter, finally got the case open with some nudging and a little smack. Replace the filter now the car will start and run very briefly but then cut out quickly, it would go down the street but stall out in 5 yards, I have cut off the air supply or restricted I figure. But what did I do and how do I fix it, I am ************ting a brick so PLEASE help. Jay. I need this dang car for work, shiznitz.

This is a classic.

Look around the air box and specialy under the big air duct going from the filter to the intake manifold: you'll probably find a vac hose that has not been reconnected.

Good luck!

probably pulled a hose out of the intake somewhere like mentioned. make sure all hoses are in place, no gaping holes, intake tube isn't cracked or torn and MAF sensor is plugged in (it's right by the air box, though it would be hard to accidentally disconnect it!).

98 impreza...if it's an OBS then it's a 2.2, if it's a wagon i believe it's a 2.5. since lots of parts swap on the motors, the air filter is probably the same between them.

Ok Frag wins the prize but you where both correct, since I am new here I have no idea if you have pm's or what, but send me your addy and what sports ya like and I'll send a reward your way, thanks a bunch.

Ok changed the wiper blades, air filter, will get tires and brakes wed, the left brake light is out and I replaced the bulb and it didn't work still so I think maybe bad socket, looks clean though no rust. Well I have some pictures let's see if I can figure out how to u/l them will try in a min.

Can anyone tell me how to post pictures, i don't see any toggle for it, ????

Glad we could help! :banana:

Just click on a member's user name or avatar and you'll be able to send that person a private message.

But no need to send anything. If you stay around long enough, you'll learn and you'll soon be able to give help to others.

By the way, I'm really envious of the deal you made. 1100$ !!!!

Ok I have a question,

I have done the following

Changed oil and filter

changed air filter

replaced front tires with a really nice set Cooper tires

After I did that the car engine sounds much better and the alignment problem evaporated, the 2 bad tires where on the drives side and I think the belts where shifting as well as being unbalanced gave me the problem. I do get however a very slight sway at excessive speeds, umm like 90 and above, I may have topped off at 102 or so and the engine was solid and could almost certainly go higher. My tach was only at about 4500 or so, however I get that damn sway which I do not like, I don't like going above 90 with the damn sway, it is very minor but still there.

So how do I get it to go away, like on a permanent basis??

You don't mention it, but I think your '98 is AWD. Replacing two tires looks odd. It's very important for all four tires to be the same size on an AWD car; if you have two new tires and two slightly worn tires you are asking for an expensive repair. It could also be contributing to the "sway."

Ok I do have an awd vehicle, and it is as you said, slightly worn tires in the rear new tires up front, so your telling me I have to replace the almost new tires in the rear? Sigh, could you please elaborate on what type of problems could develop and why as I really don't have another $170 to spend in this weeks budget. Will it be ok if I drive it a week or 2?? Thanks. Jay.