Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently acquired a 2000 Outback wagon with 6-disc in-dash CD changer. I have read the manual and can get the changer to accept a disc, but it then spits it back out. These are pre-recorded CDs, not MP3 or home-brew, and yes the label is up. Any ideas or tricks? TIA.

Does it spit it out on it's own without you touching any buttons?

I remember hitting the #1 button thinking I was loading additional disks and was ejecting the disk in slot #1.

Have you tried selecting an different slot? Try pushing say..#4, you should hear the mechanisum wind up the slot for you to insert the disk. Afterwards it winds back down and you can select another button/slot for another disk.

maybe it's full already. (prev owner didnt remove their 6 discs) justa thought as that will prevent loading of any more discs)

Assuming the LED indicators still work, they'd be on if a disk was present.

Blazer:

can you hear the motors running for the slots?

When the original CD player in mine did the same thing I was told it was the optical head was dirty or broken. Something about it not being able to read the disc as good or not.

was there a fix, what did you end up doing? sounds like a cleaning of some sort isn't a bad idae. i'm thinking blast it with the air compressor.

Could it possibly have something to do with your CD? Did you try inserting different ones?

Shortly after I'd gotten my '00 Outback I purchased a music CD that had some sort of new copy-protection encoding. Every time I inserted it into the vehicle's CD player it would spin up and then immediately spit it out! All of the other discs I owned played fine. The problem was somehow related to the copy protection scheme on the CD itself, and evidently the player couldn't read it.

I haven't tried any known copy-protected CDs, assuming they're still using that ridiculous concept on current CDs, in my subsequent '04 or my new '06 Outback 6-disc players.

Cheers ...

that's where i got mine too!

so i tested it again last night. how does this thing work anyway, my CD player has never worked. turns out, i can't even insert a CD. when i push the CD or TAPE button nothing happens. When i push load nothing happens. Tape player works if i push the tape in.

since mine has never worked, how does the Load and CD button work?

• 4 years later...

So did anyone ever get there 6 disk to work. It's been years since the last post.

I picke up a 2001 unit out of the yard, $15. I can hear the disk changer trying to change when I first turn the key on, but it will not load disk or eject them if they are in there.

lmdew: Yes, either they work...or they don't. All of the controls are solid-state and a bad alternator or voltage spike will take out the whole unit. They aren't worth fixing. That said, the one in my GL-10 worked perfectly 'til I sold the car, and last year I picked one up for my wife's Baja-which is also working perfectly. (At least that one was plug-and-play, no messing with the wiring harness.)

Gary: To load a disc, press CD, then press LOAD, then press the slot you want (the 1 through 6 buttons), then insert the CD. To eject, press CD, press the number of the disc you want to remove, then press EJECT. Pressing CD and then EJECT will eject the next CD in the queue, not necessarily the one you actually want to remove.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

They still pop up on eBay for about a hundred bucks plus shipping. If I were to do it again, though, I'd probably get a single-disc out of an Outback - the one with CD/cassette/AM/FM and weatherband.

+1

Although, I quit fooling with ebay a long time ago. Found I can find Subaru parts better and cheaper on boards like this one and nasioc.

Well here you go,maby this will help.I bought a McIntosh 6 cd player off Ebay that had the same problems. I got mine to work and read cds by cleaning the laser lens. My HD is the Pf-25201. 5 screws hold the top cover on. Before you remove top cover make sure you never turn radio upside down once cover is off. There are 2 pins that will fall out,my guess is these are shock pins so when you hit bumps the cds wont skip. Now the fun part,find the laser lens. I never saw one before so it took me some time. It looks like a small glass or plastic round eye. It sees the bottom of cd and thats how it reads it. And it is connected to an arm that slips under the cd when it plays. A clean Qtip and alcohol (not the kind you drink) will clean the dust off. Gary, dont shoot the air in there ! Lots of small springs inside ,you may make things worse. I bought a color coded Subaru wire adapter for hooking up aftermarket radios and pluged it into the back of mine and used a DC power supply box and could watck everything work inside the cd played. Its like an unbelivable robot. Do not stare at laser,can burn your eyes they say.Do not try to hook it up indors without an adapter.You will short it out. If your not sure of what your doing take it to a radio shop that you (trust). Type in online how to clean a lazer lens. Some sites have pics. Hope this helps. And Gary buddy, give some thought to that amp. I will can tell you by the end of the week what wires to use to get those front speakers going. Good luck !