Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback

180000 miles

hey

hopefully someone can help me

at about 65 mph i get a pretty good vibration/ shimmy in my steering wheel.

the tire tread is even and not wearing funny on the inside or outside which makes me believe that my alignment is ok.

i don't really no what else to check. could the tires be out of balance?

i have a new clutch too. but i was getting the vibration before the new clutch.

any ideas?

97 outback

180000 miles

hey

hopefully someone can help me

at about 65 mph i get a pretty good vibration/ shimmy in my steering wheel.

the tire tread is even and not wearing funny on the inside or outside which makes me believe that my alignment is ok.

i don't really no what else to check. could the tires be out of balance?

i have a new clutch too. but i was getting the vibration before the new clutch.

any ideas?

Check the front rims to make sure the weights for balance are still there. That would be my first step. Sometimes a tire will pick up a nail or clamp which will cause a wobble. Even a clump of dried out mud stuck to the rim will unbalance the wheel. If everything looks good I would still take it to tire shop and have them rebalanced. This might be covered by a warranty you got with the tire purchase.Then you could look at other causes as recommended by your tire shop people...good luck!.

my struts do have a 180000 miles on them.

is there a way to check to see if they are bown.

i was going to replace them in the next year anyways.

how much for struts? any guesses.

i'll try getting the tires balanced first though

struts by their lonesome will not cause a vibration,if the are bad they will make it seem worse than it is.im betting you lost a wheel weight or a rim is bent.a belt seperation you should be able to feel as a slight wobble at slow speeds.

tire balance. shouldn't change much, it would always be there and the same.

if it's AWD the driveshaft ujoints can cause high speed vibration as well when they first start going bad. this will get noticeably worse over time and across larger ranges of speed.

Yesterday worked on this same problem.

1990 2wd 5 speed manual.

Jacked up both wheels and carefully ran car in 3 gear.

Standing on the side of car (little safer) could see wobble in the suspect axle. Found improperly installed roll pin in the inner joint of right axle.

Mechanic did not line up holes right.

While we were at it, changed the axle.

Problem gone.

Nice fix. Good luck.

rick

w mi

I am battling a similar issue with an '02 OBW, 65k. Just put new tires on it and new front rotors (old ones were pulsing badly). And it didn't eliminate the shake (in fact it's gotten slightly worse).

It doesn't pull to either side on a flat road. Perhaps the most confusing part is that sometimes it only shakes the steering wheel a little, other times it's a lot worse. I'm going to re-check my ball joints and tie rod ends..

Here are two threads you might want to take a look at:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53176

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48208

if it's AWD the driveshaft ujoints can cause high speed vibration as well when they first start going bad. this will get noticeably worse over time and across larger ranges of speed.

Hmm, didn't think of checking there.

Had the same yesterday.

After having some fun in snow on monday got pretty bad vibration at speeds >55mph.

Had my tires remonted on a different set of rims (which I planned to do anyways).

Fine so far. No idea it were tires or rims, but I think I can exclude driveshafts for now.