Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will EA81 engine go into EA82 car?

I have been looking at subies and found one that needs a new engine, it is a carburated 87 wagon. There is an ea81 engine on ebay locally. I have not done an engine swap before, but would this basicly be a drop in? I would put this into the retrofitting forum but this concerns putting older engine into newer car... anybody done this? Thanks

Sure - it will basically drop in - especially if both cars are carbbed. The SPFI will bolt onto an EA81 as well, but the distributor will need modification to be used.

But yes - you will use the EA82 flywheel and clutch (need to grind a bit on the EA81 bell-housing for it to bolt on). And the engine will line up with all the mounting points in an EA82. You will lose about 12 HP tho :cool:, and being a heavy vehicle already, it's going to be slow unless you build the engine up with a new cam, and some better intake/exhaust.

GD

Am I going to have trouble with hooking up stuff?

The engine would be a 84, car is an 87. I dont know how much is interchangeable on these cars, having never owned one. I am mostly worried about the alternator connections, exhaust, and carburetor. I dont think the ecu controls or monitors much else on these?

like I said, it's similar to swapping a trans

you can keep the ea81 flywheel, mix n match componets as needed

the exhaust should transfer over unless you have a wierd spacer issue

the coil will need to be moved, or change the length of wires

McBrat replaced an ea82 engine with an ea81 engine in a red wagon that came from cheftim

that engine worked for a while, but developed a major problem :bnaghead:

Sorry, I have not changed a transmission before either. The more I think about this the more I am worried about all the electronics and polution hoses, etc. You say switch out as needed, does that mean the carbs can be switched as needed? Do accessories mount in the same place? I ask because I want to know this stuff before I buy the car and engine. I dont have one to look at so I dont want to get in over my head if this is real complicated. Big things like clutch and stuff I am sure I can figure out but if the hoses into and out of the carb dont match up then I might have trouble.

like I said, it's similar to swapping a trans

you can keep the ea81 flywheel, mix n match componets as needed

the exhaust should transfer over unless you have a wierd spacer issue

the coil will need to be moved, or change the length of wires

McBrat replaced an ea82 engine with an ea81 engine in a red wagon that came from cheftim

that engine worked for a while, but developed a major problem :bnaghead:

yep, mine was a red '87 GL wagon.

that first engine only worked for say 10 miles or so, before the rod knock became very loudly apparent at 1:00 AM on my test drive.

I then put another ea81 into it, that was fine :)

the ea82 exhaust-to-head fitment is level, whereas the ea81 may or may not have 1" EGR spacers on either side, both, or none.

I put on a weber at the same time, which made it that much easier.

alternator hook-ups are the same.

I used a ea81 power-steering pump, and had a custom hose made to mate correctly to the ea82 rack.