Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overspray after bumper repair!

Just got my outback back today. Had a local body shop fix a hole on the front bumper from a tow hitch... I keep this car spot less and when i got it home and washed it.... Theres overspray on the entire car! The clear coat that was nice and smooth is ruff.. Even one side of the bumper they fixed is almost unfinished its so ruff.

Anyone eles have an overspray problem... I'm calling the guy 1st thing in the morning to see how he's gonna fix this.

You might also want to try the detailing clay bar treatment. I have removed overspray with good results and it leaves the clear coat glass smooth. I use Mequiers but other companys make it too. Good luck!

Just got my outback back today. Had a local body shop fix a hole on the front bumper from a tow hitch... I keep this car spot less and when i got it home and washed it.... Theres overspray on the entire car! The clear coat that was nice and smooth is ruff.. Even one side of the bumper they fixed is almost unfinished its so ruff.

Anyone eles have an overspray problem... I'm calling the guy 1st thing in the morning to see how he's gonna fix this.

Spoke with the Auto Body guy this morning.. Hes a good guy and our family has been going to him for years so he was very helpful and i'm bring it back to him this afternoon. He said even with the car taped or coverspray can still get thru... They also run a detailing place but i want to make sure They get rid of the overspray.. Should they be using Clar bars? I dont want them to just try to buff it out and makes swirl marks all over the car... Any advise to make sure its fixed properly...

Thanks for your help!

-JON

Any good body shop can remove the overspray easily. Any on the glass or sunroof comes off with fine 0000 steel wool, and no, it will not scratch the glass. The overspray on the car can be buffed off with the correct compound and an air or electric polisher. Body shops buff cars and panels all of the time and a knowledgeable technician can do a wonderful job without the swirls that you're worried about. You could clay bar the entire car yourself, but be prepared to be very busy for quite a long time. Unless the body shop is very incompetent, you should not be disappointed with the results.

ACETONE

I removed a lot of red rust-oleum from glass, and white paint on my rx from the po's stripe job :-\

make sure you keep the paper towel from collecting too much overspray by turning frequently otherwise you get streaks of overspray

Acetone will be a big mistake! DONT TRY IT. Acetone is a strong solvent that will ruin the paint.

Clay is the way to go. Wolfgang google PCA.