Ultimate Subaru Message Board

updated headlights for EAxx cars?

Has anybody done any cool updates to the headlights on these cars? I wasn't sure if anyone had tried to do any projector beam type stuff or any of those ropund ones that look like the ones on a BMW etc....

I had seen this done to an old (93) grand cherokee on the jeep board.

Just curious.

-Jack

Ever hear the term "black housing"? its common in the great land of jdm... i havn't done it on my car but i have done it with a friend on his honda, it turned out looking pretty good. It is where you seperate the glass off the lense, and carefully mask a select few parts of the chrome reflectors inside of the lense and paint them black. Not all of them, you don't want to eliminate all of the reflective properties of the inside of the lense, otherwise you loose all lighting to the the sides, up and down, all you would get would be straight ahead. If done right this ends up looking very nice and clean... thinking about experimenting with old lights that i have and if it looks good doing it on my good lights...

Ever hear the term "black housing"? its common in the great land of jdm... i havn't done it on my car but i have done it with a friend on his honda, it turned out looking pretty good. It is where you seperate the glass off the lense, and carefully mask a select few parts of the chrome reflectors inside of the lense and paint them black. Not all of them, you don't want to eliminate all of the reflective properties of the inside of the lense, otherwise you loose all lighting to the the sides, up and down, all you would get would be straight ahead. If done right this ends up looking very nice and clean... thinking about experimenting with old lights that i have and if it looks good doing it on my good lights...

I have not heard the term and I'm not quite sure I follow you. You aren't talking about painting over the outside are you? I've seen this done on the round headlighted WRX cars and others. But that seems counter productive although it looks ok.

Has anybody done any cool updates to the headlights on these cars? I wasn't sure if anyone had tried to do any projector beam type stuff or any of those ropund ones that look like the ones on a BMW etc....

I had seen this done to an old (93) grand cherokee on the jeep board.

Just curious.

-Jack

im working on fitting some hella units as an upgrade. my headlights suck, and i dont want to replace them with another sucking OEM assembly.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8871&size=big&cat=&ppuser=632

my rallyX RX lights. came that way when I bought the car.

now I just need some decent 8" rally lights to fill the cut outs in the bumper.

I rember a long while back. a fellow from overseas was selling a set of subaru EA82 housings that used H4s and had better reflectors/glass.

I really wish I had some money at that time.:mad: