Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof lights for wagon

Indrid cold

Hey, usuall post on the older Subaru section but possibly more info here on this topic.

I am building a roof rack, want too put some lights on it.

Cheap....

I was looking at some lights... I want rectangle, approx: 2" tall x 4" long, found some on the internet... a bit pricy.

I can find fog lights that are just right, cheap and look alright. But not sure if the light pattern, intensity etc.. is the same. 55 watt. Blue cover... figure I would put 3 across the top.

This is more on road then off road rig, but would like too flip a switch and have a light boost. I have an 88 dl, 4 head light front, but would like to add some extra Luminares too the road.

So are these fog lights worth the money for alittle show or no go?

All I did was use the factory roof rack that mine already had on it, cut it to size, drilled a couple holes and mounted it on the front of the roof. I got a couple $10 walmart lights(they work well!) I cant remember how many watts they were. I bought some wire and a cheap flip switch(everything that I needed was within arms reach of the lights I think). and I think it looks pretty good, as well as being functional! Oh by the way, I hooked it up to a fuse that was constantly hot. Total cost... roughly 30 bucks! not bad I dont think..... then again, you may not be as cheap as I am;) I could elaborate on the process a little more if anyone was interested... but it wasnt that hard. a little creativity and imagination(as well as using what you have) will go a long way!

morelights1.jpg

like that?

goto your local gear shop, and ask if they have any old crappy load bars hanging around... then cut it to length if you need to, and fab. up some ghetto mounting system.

I also ran the wire up the trip on the A-pillar, the trim isn't happy though.. i need to modify that a little bit

Here be my monster:

275Sunshine_the_Almighy.jpg

Those are cheapo Pilot driving lights, like $30 a pair at GI Joe's. I put Sylvania Xtravisions in them and you know, they actually work pretty well. They're not Lightforces by any means, but they're plenty of light for me.

The wiring is run through the antenna hole, through an aluminum cover plate I made.

i cant see why more than 2 would be needed.

I wheel in the dark a lot.. after work and stuff.. if I'm alone, or the first vehicle in line, it REALLY helps to be able to get as much light out there as possible so I can see as much as possible.

in my opinion, depending on conditions, the more light the better

while more than 2 might not be NEEDED, there is the chance that it would be very helpful (and for me this chance arises a lot)

i cant see why more than 2 would be needed.

You don't drive where I drive :) .

Out in the woods, 50 miles from civilization, the more light the better, and light off to the sides and behind you is wonderful, even when moving slowly. The ability to aim a series of lights where I need them is a benefit only achieved with a number of lights in different places.

Plus, having a whole crapload of lights just looks cool :) .

EDIT: Post 666, the number of the beast! Hell and fire was spawned to be released!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up some lights for my rig. I'm gonna have four roof lights, two are chrome Hella or Daylighters(not sure which brand), and two Rallys. A third Rally will be in place of the third eye. They all will have 130 watt xenon bulbs. I also plan to get a pair of 55 watt projector lights for side lighting. I'm gonna put some 55 watt driving lights in the bumper when I find some channel iron or steel (stock bumper sucks!!!!). I have one slim oval light I want to put under the hitch plate of the rear bumper (cool heavy duty AM or homemade that came with the car when I bought it) for a backup light or for a$$#*!e cops that tailgate me with THEIR highbeams on(WTF!!??). I can already smell the electricity burning:grin: .