Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been reading for a while, but this is my first post.

One of the main reasons I started reading this forum was to try and diagnose the rushing water sound behind the instrument panel of our ‘99 OB wagon. Without hearing it, a local dealership service guy thought it was probably air in the system. People on this board experiencing similar symptoms seemed to also be getting similar advice.

It was about time to change the coolant anyway and I'm no stranger to DIY car repair. To be on the safe side, I found some very thorough advice on this board and followed those directions precisely - nose elevated, squeezed hoses, etc. After topping off the system the next morning, we set out on the first errand of the day and there was the noise, as prominent as ever.

It sounds like about a quart of rushing water and it’s centered on the firewall (or maybe slightly to the right) underneath the dash. It only happens on initial acceleration when the car is cold, and the sound is gone by the time I shift into third. From the diagrams in my Haynes manual (nominally covering ‘90 to ‘98, but how different can the ‘99 be?) it seems fairly obvious that the heater core is involved somehow.

Cabin heat works fine, nothing appears to be leaking anywhere, no coolant loss, temperature gauge where it always has been. The car has about 82K miles on it.

Ideas (other than burping the system, which didn’t help)?

Mike

Been reading for a while, but this is my first post.

One of the main reasons I started reading this forum was to try and diagnose the rushing water sound behind the instrument panel of our ‘99 OB wagon. Without hearing it, a local dealership service guy thought it was probably air in the system. People on this board experiencing similar symptoms seemed to also be getting similar advice.

It was about time to change the coolant anyway and I'm no stranger to DIY car repair. To be on the safe side, I found some very thorough advice on this board and followed those directions precisely - nose elevated, squeezed hoses, etc. After topping off the system the next morning, we set out on the first errand of the day and there was the noise, as prominent as ever.

It sounds like about a quart of rushing water and it’s centered on the firewall (or maybe slightly to the right) underneath the dash. It only happens on initial acceleration when the car is cold, and the sound is gone by the time I shift into third. From the diagrams in my Haynes manual (nominally covering ‘90 to ‘98, but how different can the ‘99 be?) it seems fairly obvious that the heater core is involved somehow.

Cabin heat works fine, nothing appears to be leaking anywhere, no coolant loss, temperature gauge where it always has been. The car has about 82K miles on it.

Ideas (other than burping the system, which didn’t help)?

Mike

Does it happen with the A/C CONFIRMED in the off postion (no a/c no defrost)? Some vehicles can have a 'wooshing' noise when low on refrigerant. Recently had 2 hoses replaced under warranty on my wife's '03 OBW due to leaking suction and discharge hoses on the A/C compressor.(thank you Teape Subaru!)

OR you have some kind of clogged vent drain?

I dunno

this happens on my parents 01 legacy and i really think its nothing to worry about... i'm pretty sure its just the heater core filling up with fluid...

this thought just came to mind... but perhaps it is so the car heats up faster...?

when you hear the heater core filling up that fluid had just come from the engine... supposably fairly warm fuild by the time it gets there... plus... nothing ever goes wrong... its just a noise that happens for like 5 seconds then goes away... you should hear some of the noises my 79 makes... now THERE is some mystery!:-p

this happens on my parents 01 legacy and i really think its nothing to worry about... i'm pretty sure its just the heater core filling up with fluid... [...]

Umm, if it is "the heater core filling up with fluid", there just might be something to worry about. A properly filled system doesn't have coolant voids ("air pockets").

Umm, if it is "the heater core filling up with fluid", there just might be something to worry about. A properly filled system doesn't have coolant voids ("air pockets").

I agree, there should be minimal gas/voids in the coolant system.

Put it on a ramp and let it warm up to 'operating' temp with the rad cap OFF. rev it a few times, make sure the heater is on max, refill raditaor with coolant, confirm o'flow bottle has proper to slightly above max coolant level. Allow car to cool completely. Drive and check o'flow bottle for several drive cycles.

If the problem persists - likely a HG issue.

Also, consider replacing the rad cap. I've read of many people finding their factory cap has gone bad. Once the radiator gulps in some air, it can get to the heater core and 'hang around' on some soobs.

oh ya... good point...:o

i don't see how a shooshing sound could be signs of HG... this has been going on in my parents legacy since it rolled it off the factory floor...(or soon after... we weren't actually at the factory:-p)

i have also never gotten it to overheat...(prominent when air pockets are in the engine) i rev that car like a hoolagin sometimes and i've never had a peep outa it from overheating...

however! the legacy does have HG issues since when we flushed the coolant it began burning fluid(mmm sweet sweet coolant smell) then when we went to complain they put in the additive stuff for the 'quick fix' pile of crap... i say we should all get free HG!!!:lol:

do i remember a thread about water collecting / not draing out of rocker panels? i can't be sure and i would think the sound could be located well enough if it were coming from the door instead of the dash, but you never know.

oh ya... good point...:o

i don't see how a shooshing sound could be signs of HG... this has been going on in my parents legacy since it rolled it off the factory floor...(or soon after... we weren't actually at the factory:-p)

i have also never gotten it to overheat...(prominent when air pockets are in the engine) i rev that car like a hoolagin sometimes and i've never had a peep outa it from overheating...

however! the legacy does have HG issues since when we flushed the coolant it began burning fluid(mmm sweet sweet coolant smell) then when we went to complain they put in the additive stuff for the 'quick fix' pile of crap... i say we should all get free HG!!!:lol:

>>Put it on a ramp and let it warm up to 'operating' temp with the rad cap OFF. rev it a few times, make sure the heater is on max, refill raditaor with coolant, confirm o'flow bottle has proper to slightly above max coolant level. Allow car to cool completely. Drive and check o'flow bottle for several drive cycles.

I tried that. That's what I was referring to when I said I "burped" the car - trying to work all the air out of the coolant lines.

I appreciate the advice everybody's given. I'll let you of any new developments.

>>Put it on a ramp and let it warm up to 'operating' temp with the rad cap OFF. rev it a few times, make sure the heater is on max, refill raditaor with coolant, confirm o'flow bottle has proper to slightly above max coolant level. Allow car to cool completely. Drive and check o'flow bottle for several drive cycles.

I tried that. That's what I was referring to when I said I "burped" the car - trying to work all the air out of the coolant lines.

I appreciate the advice everybody's given. I'll let you of any new developments.

A bad rad cap, or some kinda problem with the o'flow line or bottle might allow the cooling system to suck air back in.

Is your car frequently parked outside under trees? Or driven over muddy roads? There are drains under the body panels and under the wiper area that could be clogged, allowing water to be retained somewhere abnormally.

I duuno

• 4 weeks later...

I have a '01 OBW with 65k that started doing the same thing recently. I have problems with overheating, or climate control (heat/ac) working correctly, but it has been raining for a month here in NorCal, and I do park it under trees both at home and work. I wonder if it is a drain issue?

Can anybody describe where the wiper/body panel drains are supposed to be?

Thanks.