Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanting to lift a gen 1 Brat

K9WAGON

Hello .

I have to replace my transmission and th e passenger side rear suspension since it is bent , and i figure since I'm going to be ripping it all apart i may as well do a 6 lug conversion and lift it as well.

So my question is, has anyone lifted a gen 1 before ?

If so, are there any kits ?

Thanks

K9WAGON

Gen 1 Brats are hard to lift as the rear suspension is different from a Gen 2 brat. What you can do with some fab work is put Gen 2 suspension on a gen 1 for an instant lift.:brow: It is harder than it seems, you have to make a custom suspension mount, then figure how to mount the rest of the gen 2 parts on there. It's been done.

Ok after thinking about it, i have decided it would be best to throw a gen2 rear suspension under it to make the lift easier . The older style torsion bars overhang the tires thus necessitating wheel spacers and all sorts of P.I.T.A. things i dont wanna deal with .

So will someone with a EA81 series get me an axle width measurement ?

I need a rough idea of the differances in width.

Measuring from where the torsion axle bolts onto the body on each side will give me the info I need to start planning this insanity .

Help me get it rollin again!:burnout:

Many thanks

K9WAGON

Ok after thinking about it, i have decided it would be best to throw a gen2 rear suspension under it to make the lift easier . The older style torsion bars overhang the tires thus necessitating wheel spacers and all sorts of P.I.T.A. things i dont wanna deal with .

So will someone with a EA81 series get me an axle width measurement ?

I need a rough idea of the differances in width.

Measuring from where the torsion axle bolts onto the body on each side will give me the info I need to start planning this insanity .

Help me get it rollin again!:burnout:

Many thanks

K9WAGON

I'll take some measurements tomorrow when I get up if no one else gets to it first. since you plan on a lift, might be better to drill your hubs and get wheels with more backspacing vs going to gen 2 suspension? just something to consider(I dont know jack about gen1s). it sounds like you have access to most of the equipment you'll need to do this, so I might be able to help you out a little bit with some advice/ideas while the lift is in progress, just take plenty of pics and I'll try my best. make sure you keep brake lines, shocks and steering stuff in mind when you do it, I didnt and it was what kept me from getting back on the road 2 weeks later than I should have. since you are making the lift yourself, I would recomend minimum 6", but if you do only 2" you wont be as likely to have to deal with brakelines and such, but you will likely have thoughts later on wishing you had gone bigger, besides, brats are supposed to look tough not wimpy :rolleyes: just make sure you do it right and make stuff strong enough. I might post some actually ideas in the morning when I can think. good luck and HAVE FUN DOING IT!!

Your on the right track, the front is a simple body lift, the rear: get a whole rear drivetrain assembly(torsion tube, axles, hubs, shocks,I reccomed ea82 2wd rear shocks and a custom mount) out of an 80-84 wagon or 82-87 brat and mock it up to your gutted rear end(keep your moustach bar. you should be able to picture what needs to be fabbed. it makes the rear track about 3" wider overall(note factory mudflaps). here are my two non explanatory pictures (both of these have custom 3" mudrat lifts) Oh and I'm able to go way higher in the rear with torsion tube on this brat(note axles angles), but then the rake is rediculous (need 4" of lift up front) and I loose too much flex

741P1010234.JPG

741P3060221.JPG

hey that green wagon is the "pickle" I owned it for 4 years and wheeled the holy crap out of it, though sadly Mudrat and I hauled it to the junk yard about a week ago :(. I think I'm going to build another one ppretty soon. Anyway if you have Q's about the lift PM me.