Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got to ride on a backboard with a collar in the back of an ambulance this morning. Whew. Got rear-ended at a stoplight. Genius young chickie got out of her car, looked at her front bumper, then took off. I think that's called "hit and run". I got shook up, and scared, but no injuries. (Though I did try to faint on a nurse as I was trying to leave the hospital. They don't let you go if you do that.) So, the bumper cover got some damage, and the foam under it got crushed, but that's it as far as the insurance estimator and the body shop could see. What I wanna know is: how safe is the car to drive until Monday? Granted, there's no crushable foam left, but we're still protected by the metal bumper parts, right? And if it was dangerous, the body shop would've told me, right?

(PS. Smart Service recommended the body shop. So I have faith in the shop.)

If the airbag did not go off you should be fine. Make sure nothing is hitting the tire.

I have seen a rear ended car run poorly afterwards froma few reasons, bent exhaust, fan in radiator, and electical problems. Make sure it runs ok and no bad noises.

If the airbag did not go off you should be fine.

Airbags don't go off on rear end collisions. ever.

The car should be safe to drive, just make sure that there is nothing pinched off or rubbing as that could cause more problems. Make sure that your headreasts are at a height that will stop your head and not just stop your neck, i know a lot of people think its uncool to have the "head" rest in the pulled out position, but it's where it should be unless you're a midget, saved me from whiplash in a 50mph rear ending. car was gone.

Got to ride on a backboard with a collar in the back of an ambulance this morning. Whew. Got rear-ended at a stoplight. Genius young chickie got out of her car, looked at her front bumper, then took off. I think that's called "hit and run". I got shook up, and scared, but no injuries. (Though I did try to faint on a nurse as I was trying to leave the hospital. They don't let you go if you do that.) So, the bumper cover got some damage, and the foam under it got crushed, but that's it as far as the insurance estimator and the body shop could see. What I wanna know is: how safe is the car to drive until Monday? Granted, there's no crushable foam left, but we're still protected by the metal bumper parts, right? And if it was dangerous, the body shop would've told me, right?

(PS. Smart Service recommended the body shop. So I have faith in the shop.)

As much as I love my Subaru, screw the car. Did you nail the perp? Hit and run is right, air-head chickie needs to spend some time in front of a judge. Preferrably one in a really bad mood.

The car should be fine to drive, like said check for any rubbing and fix any lights that are out for now.

I am in a body shop class and have seen rear end collisions look fine from the outside. If the bumper cover is broken to the piont of the styrafoam showing then I would suspect hidden damage. The metal piece you talk about is bolted to the back of the car and I have seen the mounting points bend up and push in slightly in some rear end hits. Ither way though ts still driveable. Just hope they caught that chick that took off ( they did right).

I'm sore this morning. I was hollering the chickie's plate # to the 911 operator yesterday, and the operator said it matched the car I described. I must've got it right. I'm waiting for the police report and/or the officer to call me and tell me her number again (I forgot it in the ensuing excitement) so I can give it to my insurance company. I was also hollering about my neck hurting and my arm being numb. Guess I braced myself with my arm, cuz it's sore all the way down to my ribs and up to my skull and out to my fingertips on that side.

I didn't even think that my plate lights might be out. She hit me square on the bumper (loooooove my bumpers) so I'd better check it. Thanks!

My friend who picked me up at the hospital had to pay $175 to get my car out of the towing yard (I didn't have my credit card). Do I ask my insurance to reimburse that, or take hit-and-run Jeep Wrangler chickie to small claims court to get that back?

You need to ask your insurance agent about that. It depends on your policy, what coverage you selected, and the laws that apply.

Years ago, I was in a hit-and-run. They never found the guy who hit me and ran. I had the minimum possible insurance coverage on my car, and it covered NOTHING in a hit-and-run. Hope you have better insurance coverage than I did.

Hope you feel better, and hope they nail the idiot that hit you.

-Ron

First thing you do is contact a personal injury lawyer.

The initial consultation should be free. And his fee comes out of settlement. And beleive me, most settlements hapen without going to court.

You should not delay in this as there are time limitations depending on where you live that you cannot let lapse.

You may be sore now.............but what if you are sore for the rest of your life and you need surgeries that may exceed the limits of your policy?

What if you cannot work again?

Cars can be fixed and replaced...........injuries and pain may be permanent.

I am not a lawyer, but I have seen friends lose their jobs over missing work from injuries due to accidents like this. I also have a friend that ended up with a broken wrist in an accident..........10 years later, has 30% of the control of his right hand.

Let us know how you make out............

swi66