Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hmm, now what do i do? gas fuel door

well, the wife filled up with gas the other day and i guess the door stuck a bit and she pushed the black locking thingamabob back into hole so that she could get the door open and now the same said black locking thing has disappeared...i know its a cable that runs from the front to the gas filler door but i managed to poke around inside that small hole it comes out of and cant feel anything...tried to remove the black plastic trim ring and it wont budge either...now the door sticks out a couple of inches from the side of the car and she doesnt like it....

1996 outback

Do you have room to unfold a paper clip and get in behind it?

well, the wife filled up with gas the other day and i guess the door stuck a bit and she pushed the black locking thingamabob back into hole so that she could get the door open and now the same said black locking thing has disappeared...i know its a cable that runs from the front to the gas filler door but i managed to poke around inside that small hole it comes out of and cant feel anything...tried to remove the black plastic trim ring and it wont budge either...now the door sticks out a couple of inches from the side of the car and she doesnt like it....

1996 outback

Forget the paper clip I just looked at mine, looks like you will need to open door all the way and then take the cap and inner cover off, maybe the little holder just turned and backed out of the hole. It looks like you should be able to reach it with the cover off.

1996 outback

After rereading your first post I see you had already tried what I thought would work. Have you tried looking from under the car up? Maybe someone here has run into this before, The only thing I have messed up back there is the fuel door itself by walking into it and bending it while it was open.

cant get the black plastic trim piece off, took off the four screws and then tried to pry it off around the filler tube and all i did was make a "dent" in the black plastic piece..dont tell me i have to take that filler neck off too!

she might have borken the little plastic thing that locks the door. ive done it before too. you have to get the plastic piece on the inside of the car off, you cant do it from underneath the car. no you dont have to take the filler neck off. you just undo the cable, and get a new locking mechanism from a JY or dealer. although the JY is MUCH, MUCH, cheaper.

~Josh~