Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anybody have a car that might fit this category....i'd like to start working on my 96 imp 2.2 once i start making some money this summer...but dont have a whole lot to get anal about power or performance...i just want something i could have fun driving on the mine roads around here and not have to worry about breaking something everytime....i understand that things will break...but whats the best way about modding ur own "rally car" with not so high budget...things like suspension and such...i would wanna put on things that are strong and probably those outback struts n springs to gain a little more height??

any suggestions

id start with getting a set of kyb agx adjustable struts and maybe a set of 04 wrx springs to lift it slightly for a bit more ground clearance on the gravel roads, then, look for some skid plates to protect your engine and rear diff.

for the skid plates, i think you can get em at http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/ and for the springs, i might be parting with a set shortly cause i get a set of tarmac springs to install on my impreza. you also might want to look into getting a stock rear swaybar from a wrx, it will give you a bit better handling, make the the car a bit closer to neutral handling.

once you get the handling and protection down, then you might want to move on to performance mods, like intake and exhaust.

good luck man, have fun and be safe out there.

peace

tim c

back to the topic....what about steering? ball joints tie rods? those seem like they would be the first to wear...and wheel bearings whats the best ones to buy legacy? im def looking into skid plates...but still unsure about struts/springs i'll have to surf the web more

well considering i dont have one....and i do have a 96 impreza that i only paid 800 dollars for...i figured this could be made into a poor man's rally car

doesnt need to be super fast i just wanna be able to take it in the woods without always fixing things...

leave the real rally stuff to ppl with alot of money and alot of skill

back to the topic....what about steering? ball joints tie rods? those seem like they would be the first to wear...and wheel bearings whats the best ones to buy legacy? im def looking into skid plates...but still unsure about struts/springs i'll have to surf the web more

as far as the ball joints and such, they seem to be pretty strong on the impreza. ive got about 130k on my impreza and im pretty sure that they are all stock, as well as the axles and cv boots. tie rods might be something to look into, but once again, im still on the original rods, and i drive the car like it was meant to be driven. now if you want to get better control arms, that is very easy, you can get teh jdm sti front forged aluminum control arms. lighter and stronger than the stamped steel arms these car came with.

Very interesting that everyone's recommending better suspension and handling but only caual mention of intake and exhaust. :)

Sounds about right to me, although my only rally experience so far has been limited to Colin McRae Rally 2005 for the PC with a force feedback steering wheel. Still, the physics of that game are quite good and one thing certainly seems for sure: all the HP and torque in the world will make you faster only if you know how to handle the car. But, I've got the best speed on a couple of the twistier courses in a 100hp Mini in that game. Even when I can do the course faster in an STi it's usually only a difference of 20 seconds or so on a 3 minute course.

Is this cyberspace assessment of handling over power just as true in the real world of rally? In other words, is the sport 10% vehicle and 90% driver?

Very interesting that everyone's recommending better suspension and handling but only caual mention of intake and exhaust. :)

That would be because he said that isn't his concern...... :banghead:

but dont have a whole lot to get anal about power or performance...i just want something i could have fun driving on the mine roads around here and not have to worry about breaking something everytime....

You don't really need to worry about anything other than struts or springs in the suspension. We've been "professionally" rallying a 96 Impreza for 5 years now on factory bushings, ball joints, tie rods, control arms.... We've never had anything let us down, and the only time anything was replaced was when we hit something big (usually involved the car rolling or flipping somehow.) Even Factory Struts and springs aren't all that Bad. Randy Zimmer was rallying an RS with nothing more that Forester struts and springs, and he was fast. Like top 10 fast. These cars were very much designed with Rally in mind. They are very strong in every way.

Tires are a big thing to worry about though. Standard tires are a 4 ply tread, 2 ply sidewall design. Makes them very easy to puncture the side wall when sliding. Rally tires are something like 6-8 ply for the tread, and 4 ply for the sidewall, and are very hard to mount on a rim. I also believe they are not DOT approved. So, tires are your real limit.

Keith

Is this cyberspace assessment of handling over power just as true in the real world of rally? In other words, is the sport 10% vehicle and 90% driver?

Off topic but yes. We run a home built 96 shell with an 02 WRX driveline and very mild tuning. We regularly beat professionally preped '04 STis and EVOs with inexperianced drivers. Then you have people like Randy or Emmilio Arse who beat us in fairly stock RSs. It's all about commitment and talent.

Keith

Off topic but yes. We run a home built 96 shell with an 02 WRX driveline and very mild tuning. We regularly beat professionally preped '04 STis and EVOs with inexperianced drivers. Then you have people like Randy or Emmilio Arse who beat us in fairly stock RSs. It's all about commitment and talent.

Keith

bro u live like an hour away from me....im near jim thorpe & hazleton....next time any of that rally'n is going on just drop me a pm and ill see if i can be there

my car almost has 200,000 highway miles....i was thinking forester struts n springs some new tie rods and tires for a start....then im gonna stop eating at "china wok" everyday and start putting that money into the car ...a few years from now maybe i'll gain some more knowledge and have something sweet

if u got any pics hook me up....im def interested

sean_sullivan_06@hotmail.com

Where do you live in carbon county? Do you know the Broad mountain? What kind of car do you have?
Use to live in kentucky now live in NesQuehoning I have a green 86 wagon and just got a free gray 91 legacy. I go into the mines all the time with my wagon. I love to see the looks on peoples faces with 4 wheelers when i come flying up over a hill.

bro..i delivered chinese food to ur house i've been trying to get a hold of u forever....i kept going back to ur house and ur car was never there hahahah

ur the one that told me bout the site....man i gotta come up sometime...i bought a new car