Ultimate Subaru Message Board

factory hood scoop, when did they start

I was in an accident with my '95 legacy and am wondering if i could swap hoods for one with with a scoop. What year did they begin? and would it bolt on to my '95 legacy L?

I am thinking they didn't have them on the '96 outback, and I wonder if the 97 outback would fit my car...

Thanks,

<<Erm.....they were on the 1989 Legacy Turbos >>

yeah, but he needs the hood to fit his 1995 legacy.

Yea, but that is not what the subject title asks. I actually think there was a type of a scoop on the XT Turbo in 1987, as least there was an opening in the hood to help cool the turbo. But yes, for his car the 97 to 99 Outback or Legacy GT hood will work.

Yea, but that is not what the subject title asks. I actually think there was a type of a scoop on the XT Turbo in 1987, as least there was an opening in the hood to help cool the turbo. But yes, for his car the 97 to 99 Outback or Legacy GT hood will work.

Yeah, I recall seeing them on earlier cars, but its true my point for asking is what'll bolt on my 95...

So it sounds like 97-99 outback or legacy gt hoods will fit.. That's what I'm after, thanks...

:banana:

Juan, the USDM Legacy GT did have a hood scoop on 1997-1999 models...both wagon and sedan.

I have an original '98 dealer brochure that shows two pages of GT wagons without hood scoops. I also remember looking at the GTs on dealer lots when I bought my L and never saw a scoop.

What is USDM?

Juan

2.5 gts have em, i have a couple myself

You're correct. I was wrong. Closer look at brochure (hadn't looked at it in a year or so) shows all GTs as having non-functional hoodscoops. Why would you want one of those -fake hoodscoops, I mean- ?

Juan

they are semi-functional.....those cars didnt come with turbo, so they dont cool an intercooler, but they still let a little engine bay heat escape, and at freeway speeds i imagine there is a slight benefit. its not like they are on the hood for show and blocked off by a piece of plastic underneath.

~Josh~

I have an original '98 dealer brochure that shows two pages of GT wagons without hood scoops. I also remember looking at the GTs on dealer lots when I bought my L and never saw a scoop.

What is USDM?

Juan

juan, you're wrong. period.

my cousin's 97 legacy gt has a scoop.

the late 96 gts and LSi's did not however.

(edit)...my fault, i see you corrected yourself.

they are semi-functional.....those cars didnt come with turbo, so they dont cool an intercooler, but they still let a little engine bay heat escape, and at freeway speeds i imagine there is a slight benefit. its not like they are on the hood for show and blocked off by a piece of plastic underneath.

~Josh~

actually i'm pretty sure that you can make it a complete opening. just take off the black cover on the inside.