Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 4EAT weird on throdle bump?

My Mom's '03 GT sedan is starting to do a intermitant bump at highway speed when gas is applied very softly. Seems to happen if you are coasting at say 65 mph and then very softly aplly more pressure to the gas petal with teh car in Drive. The tranny will kind of hick-up as it comes under load?? Only does it once in awhile:confused: Any one else experince this in a GT with the 4EAT with the autostick option?? :-\

Two things come to mind:

I'm almost certain I recall reading a TSB regarding 4EAT lock-up clutch "hiccupping" under the type of condition you're describing. I don't remember the year(sd) or model(s) affected. Customers complaining about it were given a TCU re-flash.

Subarus EFI programming tends to re-engage the injectors abruptly when transitioning from off-throttle coastdown back to on-throttle cruise.

Subaru really is the king of annoying software glitches.

**** ******!

My Mom's '03 GT sedan is starting to do a intermitant bump at highway speed when gas is applied very softly. Seems to happen if you are coasting at say 65 mph and then very softly aplly more pressure to the gas petal with teh car in Drive. The tranny will kind of hick-up as it comes under load?? Only does it once in awhile:confused: Any one else experince this in a GT with the 4EAT with the autostick option?? :-\

OMG!!!

OK, tell, what would happen if you were, say, doing about 70 - steady, and floored it, as if to pass a motorhome and swing back in front of it to settle back down to 70.

My wife's '03 OBW 4eat SLAMS down to 3rd after over revving slightly.

In some parts of southern CO, you can set the cruise about 9 over. So, doing about 84 , going up an incline, I can see the TC unlock - that looks like its good for about 120 or rpm. That is smooth. But , if the load from the hill continues and the CC decides to downshift? man! it revs up to about 300-400 rpm OVER where it settles to AFTER IT SLAMS into 3rd.

2 different dealerships say thay can't duplicate it. And they never mentioned a firmware revision. It IS difficult to do around town here as it is barely perceptible at 65-70. I'm gonna try to take a tech for drive sometime. Occasionally, it's just annoying - one time, it nearly put me in another lane!

The car will be getting a major service soon and we''ll see what it's like after the tranny fluid gets serviced. I will post if I ever discover anything else.

Carl

Two things come to mind:

I'm almost certain I recall reading a TSB regarding 4EAT lock-up clutch "hiccupping" under the type of condition you're describing. I don't remember the year(sd) or model(s) affected. Customers complaining about it were given a TCU re-flash.

Subarus EFI programming tends to re-engage the injectors abruptly when transitioning from off-throttle coastdown back to on-throttle cruise.

Subaru really is the king of annoying software glitches.

**** ******!

Anyone have a the # of the TSB?? Subigal where are ya!!:brow:

this is also a long shot and would have more savere, repeted thumping up hill at higher speeds. this started to happen to me and i discoveed the axle stub shaft had popped out of the tranny and the thumping was the AWD (now RWD) kicking on and off. although this would also manifest itself accelerateing from a stop.

• 2 months later...

You need to check the dropping resistor under the hood. This resistor is in the circuit that decides how hard the shifts should be. Its worth a shot.

Autozone wil give you the TSB for free. Here are some i found dont know if it will help. Remeber a 2003 can have a 2002 issue

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=views

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3000

nipper

Blitz I could REALLY use the TSB on this reflash?? It is now doing it at 30 MPH coasting then when SLIGHT gas is applied it hic-ups pretty bad!:mad:
I've been digging around for it and I may have been mistaken.

I believe I was inadvertently combining two similar, but unrelated TSB's. One regarding harsh engagement of the rear transfer clutch, and another regarding the TC lockup clutch being reluctant to engage when the cruise control is activated.

**** ******!

I have had the same problem on my 02 outback since new . MIne is really bad when you slow down to go thru the ezpass toll here. When accelerate away my rpms will jump up about 400-500 like im reving in neutral. Then it will bang into the gear . I have had the car looked at about a dozen times . I have evaen driven with the service rep and had it do it . They tried to say it is normal. The did a line pressure and clutch pressure check and the came back normal.I have learned to drive different now, I slow down to 15-20 miles going through the toll and that will make a much smoother shift . I have the trans serviced per subaru every 30k miles .

can somone do a test for me, im curious about something. Can somone please do a hard reset on the computers (bettery disconnected over night) and see if it goes away.

I want to see if it is a design fault of a learned fault by the computer,

nipper