Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ask to test drive another same make and model that you select at random from the lot to determine if this is a function of the design. My 2000 Legacy GT has pinged from day one but seemed better with higher grade octane that was listed for the car ($$$!).

5 years later: Never a code, related to warmer weather ie above 60 degrees F most noticeable. SOA told me last week that manual section 7-2 asserts that "pinging" is normal and not detrimental to car.

If you find another 05 that doesn't make the pinging then continue bringing it back and document complaints that they fail to remedy and finally threaten Lemon Law.

You said octane rating didn't seem to matter much. How about ambient temperature?

My 05 Outback seems OK with the same gas that causes problems with my 00 Legacy. I have to be a little more agressive with acceleration to minimize the pinging but I'm not happy with what I consider a design flaw in the 00.

In your case, do the comparison and then ask to meet with a regional rep if yours turns out to be the runt of the litter.

Pardon my newbie question, but isn't the knock sensor suppose to compensate the timing to eliminate the pinging? Knocking and pinging not the same?

a knock sensor attempts to deal with it, and it depends upon the source. If the ping is coming from too high a heat range plug it cant deal with it.

What kind of driving do you do. Usually a cooler heat range spark plug will help aleviate or rid you of the problem.

nipper

He's right - don't accept this, it's not right. Keep taking it back until they fix it. The least they can do is throw in a new knock sensor, or plugs, or something.

I've had the same problem for the last five years on a 2000 OBW, the dealer said "use better gas". I should have pushed him to fix it then, but I didn't. I'm going to try cooler plugs and see if that helps. Note that the BOOK says it should run fine on 87 octane, but we have to buy 89. I don't like this much.

He's right - don't accept this, it's not right. Keep taking it back until they fix it. The least they can do is throw in a new knock sensor, or plugs, or something.

I've had the same problem for the last five years on a 2000 OBW, the dealer said "use better gas". I should have pushed him to fix it then, but I didn't. I'm going to try cooler plugs and see if that helps. Note that the BOOK says it should run fine on 87 octane, but we have to buy 89. I don't like this much.

I have a 2000 OBW that started to ping a year ago. Ran on high octane for about 6 months, and then back to regular. Pinging has stopped.

On my 2000 Legacy GT they replaced the knock sensor with no effect. New plugs (same temp range) nada. Upper engine clean, numerous times, zippo. Tech opened and checked timing... he said cam gear was off two teeth but reset timing and new timing belt later... yup, sorry Chucko. When head gaskets were replaced under warranty they said there was some carbon buildup removed from the upper cylinder wall... you guessed it, the same. I am wondering if a new air freshener would work by diminishing my brain cells or turn the radio up so loud as to finish off the brain cells.

Hey Nipster,

Would I need summer and winter plugs? Is there any ill effect of running colder plugs in winter when there is apparently no problem with pinging?

BTW, where on LI are you with that bad back? Back when I spoke the "Queens" english, my neck and back were fractured in auto accident in W. Islip (not a Subaru but I passed the crash test.. the Volvo P-1800 was a gonner).

Hey Nipster,

Would I need summer and winter plugs? Is there any ill effect of running colder plugs in winter when there is apparently no problem with pinging?

BTW, where on LI are you with that bad back? Back when I spoke the "Queens" english, my neck and back were fractured in auto accident in W. Islip (not a Subaru but I passed the crash test.. the Volvo P-1800 was a gonner).

I am on the south shore of Nassau county, in Oceanside. My legacy got seriously bent, and right now with the OBW sometimes i get real nervous seeing how close people are to the back of the car.

Plugs don't really have anything to do with weather (assuming your not in alaska or someother seriously cold climate). It has do to with the ability of the spark plug to retain heat. Rule of thumb used to be short trips was a hot plug, and highway was a cold plug. Now with crummy fuel, and lean engines, you use a mid range or cool plug. I havent heard of anyone going to a hotter plug, which would be the case if the plugs fowled early.

nipper

I know what you mean about the rear view fear. I took a Continental in the rear of a Volvo P1800 years ago in W. Islip, fractured neck and back. Casted but no "tincture of cold steel" applied by the surgeons as in your case. Thanks for the cool plug tip and get better soon.

I am on the south shore of Nassau county, in Oceanside. My legacy got seriously bent, and right now with the OBW sometimes i get real nervous seeing how close people are to the back of the car.

Plugs don't really have anything to do with weather (assuming your not in alaska or someother seriously cold climate). It has do to with the ability of the spark plug to retain heat. Rule of thumb used to be short trips was a hot plug, and highway was a cold plug. Now with crummy fuel, and lean engines, you use a mid range or cool plug. I havent heard of anyone going to a hotter plug, which would be the case if the plugs fowled early.

nipper