Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:clap: Reading the posts here, I was expecting the worst from my dealer. Well, I have to write in and brag on them.

Fairfield Subaru in Southern Ohio.

I have a new 2005 Legacy that developed a rattle in the dash that was driving me crazy (you can see my earlier posts asking for help on taking the dash apart). Took the car in for an oil change (lifetime oil changes included in the purchase price) and mentioned the problem. They took it out and confirmed the noise. Gave me a loaner car and spent the better part of two weeks chasing rattles.

Found that the Y-pipe was making noise (broken internally), replace that. Couldn't repeat the original rattle but believed me when I told them how to repeat the noise.

Confirmed the noise and kept chasing until they could fix it. Finally fabricated a rubber shim to fit between the windshield and the dash. You can not tell that they did anything, but the car is a quiet and as solid feeling as a Lexus.

All of the work covered under warranty.

Yes, I bought the mechanic and the assistant service manager a beer, they deserved it.

So, there are good dealers out there! I just feel lucky to have one! :clap:

mikkl

Same goes for Mastro Subaru in Tampa, Fl

The service reps(the owners) go to the mechanics school as to better help the customers

Most of the people that I met 18 years ago are still there.

And after my best efforts to ask them to stop, they still call me sir!

Great people.

Makes me wonder why the windshield was rattling. Maybe its the $10 an hour workers assembiling Legacies.

Actually, it was the dash assembly flexing into the windshield. Seems that in the new Legacys the entire front of the dash is attached to nothing and so is free to move. In my case, when the temperature was just right, the dash would apparently loosen a bit and flex into the windshield with every bump of the road.

I suspect tightening the bolts holding the dash in place did almost as much as the rubber shim they added.

mikkl